Teradata

Installing larger drives on RAID 1

Finally starting running out of room on my 3ware 7000 raid1 with two 40g drives so I installed 2 80's one at a time and let them rebuild. I was afraid this would happen- it still shows only 40g total capacity. Apparently I followed the wrong procedure. How can I fix this? Hope I wont need to purchase Partition magic. Already have it but it is a very old version. Any help greatly appreciated!

Finally starting running out of room on my 3ware 7000 raid1 with two 40g drives so I installed 2 80's one at a time and let them rebuild.

I hope I am wrong but I don't think that even partition magic (or a program like it) will help.

The way I would recommend you do it is to get an external enclosure, put your 40GB with all it's data.. start from scratch on the 80GBs and copy your data from the 40GB.

In the event the 7000 uses a proprietary drive format, I'd recommend borrowing an external drive, backing up to it from the 40G drives then building the 80GB RAID 1 set from scratch and restore the backup to the 80G set.

Free

In the event the 7000 uses a proprietary drive format, I'd recommend borrowing an external drive, backing up to it from the 40G drives then building the 80GB RAID 1 set from scratch and restore the backup to the 80G set.

Free

That's essentially what I ended up having to do. Turns out the 7000 does not support expansion without deleting and recreating the array. Found detailed instructions at the 3ware KB. What a pain! Thanks for all the replies.