anaxagoras

Rackmount Question

So i just picked up the following two items, or rather will be getting them shortly, i already won the auction for the rack, now just for the case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=9703044923

http://www.calpc.com/catalog/8u-13bay.html

I've never setup a rack before, and really don't know much about the process. I need some sort of mounting rails from what i understand, but they come in different sizes so i really don't know what to get. Any help would be great. Also anything pointers or tips just in general would be greatly appreciated.

i would ask calpc.

You bought a standard 19" rack and the add for the servercase lists "Will Accommodate Slide Rails (Optional)"

What you need is a set of sliderails for a standard 19" rack.

Depending on how those hook up to your standard 19", you may need some special nuts (that click in the square holes of the 19" rack) and bolts to install those, but usually those come with the sliderails.

so with slide rails is it just the rails and bolts/nuts/washers/etc, or is there any sort of mounting bracket as well? I'm looking on ebay and see a few different things.

CalPC reccomended a product to me, but ebay seems cost less than half the money even after shipping.

so with slide rails is it just the rails and bolts/nuts/washers/etc, or is there any sort of mounting bracket as well? I'm looking on ebay and see a few different things.
Usually the mounting brackets are part of the drive rails. But driverails are brand-, even model specific.

Especcially in width and with all mounting holes for the servercase in the right place.

Buying generic rails will probably work but it may take some drilling and adjusting.

Yes, it's usually the case that you need to buy rails which have been designed for your particular case - or at least that explicitly state compatability. Otherwise you may have to drill holes in the side of your case to match up to the holes in the rails. Actually, it would probably be better to drill the holes in the rails, as the holes in the case will need to be threaded for the screws. With luck, there will be holes in the rails in the right places already.

If you get a generic set of rails, you'll need to find out what screw thread will match the holes in the case, and how long the screws need to be.

Some rails are tool-less,which is much easier, but for a one off it doesn't make much difference. Watch out when you're putting the rack nuts in, it's pretty easy to slip and cut yourself!

Rails come in two parts: the bit that attaches to the rack, using tool-less clips or rack nuts & bolts; and the bit that attaches to the server, much like the rails on a drawer. It's important to consider centre of gravity when positioning a server in a rack - the rails will allow the server case to extend completely out of the rack, and you may need to bolt the rack to the floor to stop it falling forward, if the server is too high up with nothing to weigh the rack down. If you're putting a UPS in the bottom, that shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you want me to clarify any of that. I'm taking a guess at how much you need me to tell you.

how likely is it that the holes in generic rails won't match up to the holes in the case?

That's hard (for me) to answer. All my rack experience has been with (original) HP / Compaq kit, and I don't know how much variability there is in screwhole placements in other brands' cases. I can tell you that, while early Compaqs each had their own rail kits, most modern HP rack mountable servers (except the 1U & blade servers) now use the same rail kits.

Generic rails will probably have lots of holes in them to allow for a variety of server hole locations. You may have to expand existing holes or drill new ones in the rails, but I guess there's a reasonable chance that it'll just work. For all I know, there's some sort of standard for hole locations in rackmount cases. I do know the market's not as homogeneous as, say, the ATX case market.

Trial and error is your friend, but if you're going to drill holes, be very sure you're drilling the right part in the right place!

how likely is it that the holes in generic rails won't match up to the holes in the case?

Given my experience with generic rails and generic cases the chance of the holes on the case matching the holes on the rails is vanishingly small. Bring a drill ;)