pandabear

When will Optical Drives go SATA?

Eventually they will switch, but when?

If I had to hazard a guess I would put it at about six months after the PATA header is removed from motherboards.

Free

Dell/HP/etc have likely told suppliers that their next gen mainboards will have 6 sATA and 0 pATA. Expect lots of drives by year end.

One word: floppy-drive :P

Well, a couple of things I thought of:

- don't think it costs much to make the interface.

- disk makers are still manufacturing PATA drives

- almost all DVDR drives are PATA only

Motherboard makers will probably include PATA interface in their products for a fews years after retailers stop selling PATA drives.

I think XP needs to go away before SATA optical really takes off. Lots of systems only have one optical drive, so you need to be able to boot and load the OS install from it.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716SA.htm

I've got the Plextor PX-716SA in my system and it runs great... but booting from it is another story. I've tried booting the XP install CDROM and it does fine... until it starts loading the IO device drivers! After all, the SiI chipset isn't on there.

With my PATA CDROM I can get to "hit F6 to load a third party driver" message... with the SATA drive it BSODs on me before it gets to that message.

I bet Vista fixes this, but I haven't tried it... waiting for the next beta before I start playing in that sandbox.

Cheers,

Bob

[] Asus A8R32-MVP [] Athlon X2 4400+ [] Corsair Twin 1GB PC3200 [] Samsung SP2504C x2 RAID0 on ULi [] ATi X1900XTX [] Creative X-Fi Pro [] Plextor PX-716SA on SiI [] Adaptec AHA29160 [] Antec P150 [] Antec NeoHE 430 [] Nexus 120mm Fan x4 [] Arctic Cool Accelero X2 [] Hardcano 13 fan control [] 3DMark06=5641

First of all, the SATA cables that come with the mainboards could be made long enough that one is actually able to connect a drive in the top 5.25" bay to the board.. I have 8 cables from my last 2 boards (Asus P4C800 and A8N SLI) and they're all too short to reach any of the top 3 slots of the six 5.25" ones I have. Silly. The bundled PATA cables are longer.

The problem is not the BIOS nor the OS, but the SATA itself.

Actually, SATA 1.0a doesn't include ATAPI support. Some controller manufacturer included it, such as Intel, but it wasn't often the case. (Silicon Image, Promise doesn't included it for example.)

Today, with SATA 2.0 ATAPI is included, but SATA revision of the controller isn't clearly noticed, so... But with SATA 2.0 controller, we can use SATA ATAPI devices without any trouble, and optical devices manufacturer will certainly came to SATA...

When the big OEMs decide that they want SATA optical drives, that's when they'll become mainstream. What ATA is supported on retail mainboards won't matter a thing as the drive and mainboard manufacturers are likely to prefer the steady business of a major OEM to retail if they have to make a choice. Just look at PIII mainboards. Most OEM machines from the like of IBM, HPaq, ... didn't include an ISA slot on Coppermine boards while retail boards often included at least one. When a big company decides it doesn't need something anymore, that something tends to go away. Personally I can't wait for SATA to replace parallel ATA completely.

Samsung has one SATA DVD burner on the market: SH-W163. You can buy it in Germany for ~40€, the regular price for PATA burners. But I didn't find a proper review (like ct magazine) yet. So i'm not buying this one yet, as I'm very concerned about burning quality.

It would be awesome if BenQ finally made a SATA burner. Of course before they put any Light On tech inside...

MrS