philipms

Seagate 500GB SATA2 firmware upgrade helps RAID5 dramatically

Maxtor 6v300f0s are diamondmax 10s. According to some talks with Maxtor tech support, these may have the same problems as WD SE drives; the Maxline IIIs have corrected this. "Selectable Command Timeout" is the magic word here, rather than TLER.

The original DM10s may also have this feature, but that's a whole other bag o' worms.

... these may have the same problems as WD SE drives; the Maxline IIIs have corrected this.
Which firmware corrects this? VA111670 doesn't, does the 111680?

I am having similar issues with my LSI MegaRaid i4 & 3x Seagate 400gb PATA (ST3400632A)

I've posted test results (HDtach) and explinations here: Poor Raid 5 preformance / Please Help

You think I should contact Seagate and try and get FW upgrades?

How do I go about this, exactly?

Any/All help will be greatly appreciated.

-BassKozz

Anyone know if this "Firmware upgrade" will work on PATA drives?

I am having similar issues with my LSI MegaRaid i4 & 3x Seagate 400gb PATA (ST3400632A)

I've posted test results (HDtach) and explinations here: Poor Raid 5 preformance / Please Help

You think I should contact Seagate and try and get FW upgrades?

How do I go about this, exactly?

Any/All help will be greatly appreciated.

-BassKozz

Anyone know if this "Firmware upgrade" will work on PATA drives?

Nevermind, I just got an e-mail back from Seagate:

Issues that may occur with SATA hard drives in an array do not apply to PATA hard drives. There are no firmware updates for PATA hard drives.

Regardless of this, conventional benchmarking software tends to be unreliable when testing RAID performance. We cannot guaranty the performance of our hard drives in a RAID array anyway because that performance to a large degree depends on the controller and other components within your system.

I recommend benchmarking these hard drives individually outside of a RAID environment to make sure that they are actually performing up to specification.

Any idea's on what to do to get better preformance out of my Raid Array?

Or at least a better testing product (besides HDtach) ?

Edited by BassKozz

Maxtor 6v300f0s are diamondmax 10s. According to some talks with Maxtor tech support, these may have the same problems as WD SE drives; the Maxline IIIs have corrected this. "Selectable Command Timeout" is the magic word here, rather than TLER.

The original DM10s may also have this feature, but that's a whole other bag o' worms.

Interesting. Especially since on many machines I have had 0 errors when running performance tests to fill up the disks, but days/weeks later when the machine was idle all of a sudden a drive or two would drop. Not only that, but all of the drives that I've looked at have failed the powermax simple test.

I think this argument may be a bit convenient for Maxtor. If this is related to the lack of TLER, then I think the drives are all decaying like crazy, and only when put in RAID controllers is it noticeable. Home users would have no idea that they have decaying drives unless they decided to do something like run powermax.

Who knows, really... probably best to avoide these AND the Maxline IMHO (as well as the WD SE).

-B

There is a New Firmware available for Maxtor Drives

VA111680

Running it on a Maxtor SATA2 Model No 6V080E0

Edited by Grzyb

There is a New Firmware available for Maxtor Drives

VA111680

Running it on a Maxtor SATA2 Model No 6V080E0

I have been running VA111680 now 2691 hours continuously without a problem on a 3ware 9550sx-8lp raid controller card.

The system has 7 Maxline III drives model 7V300F0. The system is now up 16 days and a few minutes without a drive timeout. With VA111670 I also had a period of this many days without any problem though, so I'm still cautious to declare a success. But it looks good.

People having a problem with 3ware/amcc or any other brand on-board or PCI RAID controllers experiencing infrequent(!) drive timeouts on all drives in combination with Maxline III drives models 7VxxxF0 or DiamondMax 6VxxxF0 should contact Seagate/Maxtor and ask them for a solution in the form of a firmware upgrade VA111680.

Don't even consider upgrading to VA111680 if you are not experiencing any problem. There is no performance gain in doing so.

People having a problem with 3ware/amcc or any other brand on-board or PCI RAID controllers experiencing infrequent(!) drive timeouts on all drives in combination with Maxline III drives models 7VxxxF0 or DiamondMax 6VxxxF0 should contact Seagate/Maxtor and ask them for a solution in the form of a firmware upgrade VA111680.
Hmm. Any tips for punters like me who have similar problems with the 6B300S0 drives? (DM 10 300GB SATA units.)

We get dropouts maybe 8 times per year I guess.

Neil

Hmm. Any tips for punters like me who have similar problems with the 6B300S0 drives? (DM 10 300GB SATA units.)

Can you look at the drive's PCB. I believe that all Sabre-S II / RC_1 hard drives are affected by this issue. Only RAID users will experience this problem.

Maxtor told me that VA111680 would only work on 7VxxxF0 drives. I know for a fact that it also works on 6VxxxF0 drives. It might also work for 6B300S0 drives, but I don't know. If your current firmware is VA1116xx then you have a big chance it will also work, but you should ask Maxtor to be sure, and not to void your drive's warranty.

I have been running VA111680 now 2691 hours continuously without a problem on a 3ware 9550sx-8lp raid controller card.
15 x 300gig 7V300F0's here for 4 days without issues on VA111680, 3ware 9550SX-16ML. Hopefully this is the one that fixes it.

Can you look at the drive's PCB. I believe that all Sabre-S II / RC_1 hard drives are affected by this issue. Only RAID users will experience this problem.

Maxtor told me that VA111680 would only work on 7VxxxF0 drives. I know for a fact that it also works on 6VxxxF0 drives. It might also work for 6B300S0 drives, but I don't know. If your current firmware is VA1116xx then you have a big chance it will also work, but you should ask Maxtor to be sure, and not to void your drive's warranty.

Can't easily get at the drives right now but I know the current firmware revs are BANC17M0 (most of 'em) and BANC1980.

Sounds like a different bit of hardware, really.

However, I can hope that they made the same mistake with both, and that they will cure it soon :)

Has anybody at Maxtor explicitly said what problem the VA111680 f/w fixes?

Has anybody at Maxtor explicitly said what problem the VA111680 f/w fixes?

No. Only that it presumably fixes the drive timeout problem. 3ware also believes that VA111680 fixes the problem with the Maxtor drives.

I've also gotten this a few times, latest today, with different drives:

Task 20 timeout on disk 5 at LBA 0x01445a180 (Length 0x80)

A hard reset fixes the problem so its no big deal, but its annoying. I have maxtor 7V250F0's, with firmware VA111630. Would upgrading the firmware help me? Where would I get the latest firmware (maxtor seems hard to get a hold of?), and how do I use it to perform the upgrade?

I've also gotten this a few times, latest today, with different drives:

Task 20 timeout on disk 5 at LBA 0x01445a180 (Length 0x80)

A hard reset fixes the problem so its no big deal, but its annoying. I have maxtor 7V250F0's, with firmware VA111630. Would upgrading the firmware help me? Where would I get the latest firmware (maxtor seems hard to get a hold of?), and how do I use it to perform the upgrade?

Just contact Maxtor by phone. Explain your problem. That usually suffices to make them understand the problem and provide a solution by means of a firmware update. The update procedure is explained in the accompanying read-me. You'll need to attach the drives to a non-RAID controller for the update process one-by-one (if you have more than one drive, but I believe that is the case since you've got a disk 5, and computers usually start counting at 0 or 1).

Edited by VikH

Yeah I'll do that, just gotta wait for a good time to call. I'll call the US number but im in sweden so we're a little ahead time-wise.

Did the new firmware work out for you? Does anyone know what the actual problem was/is?

Yeah I'll do that, just gotta wait for a good time to call. I'll call the US number but im in sweden so we're a little ahead time-wise.

I'm in Belgium, and I call Maxtor Ireland usually. I got VA111680 from there.

I have not decided it is fixed this problem, but so far my 7 7V300F0 drives have know an uptime of 7 x 25 days 23.5 hours = 4365 hours of trouble free operation.

Looks definitely better than VA111630 and it has now also passed the maximum uptime before failure I had with VA111670.

I have not decided it is fixed this problem, but so far my 7 7V300F0 drives have know an uptime of 7 x 25 days 23.5 hours = 4365 hours of trouble free operation.
08:51:36 up 13 days, 19:58

4980 hours combined so far here.

I was provided with the VA111900 firmware as well as the VA111680. The dates on the files in the .zip archive is the same, the VA111900 is a few hours older thats all. Other than than they differ only by a few bytes in the actual code. Wonder if I should use the '900? Both seem to work, at least they flash onto a drive all fine..

has anyone tried a raid 5 config with those new 7200.10 320gb seagates?

the ones i 'll be receiving tomorrow

are 5QF's with 3AAC Firmware

is there an firmware upgrade available?

ok, I got a firmware upgrade from Seagate for my 300GB drives

flashed all of them, but performance is still way below what it should be

setup is 4 disk RAID5 on BC4852

4 x Seagate 300GB RAID5

blue = 3AAH

red = 3AAE

segatecompare9mg.jpg

4 x WD3200JD RAID5

wdraid58ig.jpg

1 x Seagate 300GB, no RAID

all 4 drives have similiar scans in single mode

seagate300gbsingle8cw.jpg

A customer of mine is having dropping drives in an Areca 1210 controller, Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, 3 drives Maxtor 6V300F0 with VA111630 firmware.

I myself experienced lots of problems with a single 6V250F0 in my Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard (nForce4-ish chipset), which seem to have gone away since I put the new VA111670 firmware in it. So I have that firmware file and I was thinking of updating my customer's drives in order to solve the problems there.

Do you guys know if the firmware file is the same for the 6V250F0 and 6V300F0 drives? I've asked Maxtor but it took weeks to go through the issues with the 250GB drive and I expect some more weeks for this new case. Is someone so kind to help me compare the two files?

Regards,

CM

can you send the 6V250F0 firmware update to me? please

and explain how to update the firmware, because it will be the first time i update a HD firmware. thank you!!

Hi!

Does anybody still have the firmware version 3.AAH for seagate-drives and would be so kind to mail it to me?

I have serious troubles with this drive I bought today and I have to get it work this weekend, but the seagate-support isn´t reachable at weekends.

It would be great if anybody could help me and send it to me.

Thanks a lot,

Redfox

Yeah, actually I missed this thread the first time around and it looks like a firmware upgrade like this might really help me. If anyone has the firmware, please send it to: clamkj@gmail.com. Thanks very much.

dont know if I will benefit from this. But I got 8 x seagate 7200.10, 320 GB disk in raid 5 and they all use firmware 3AAD, will firmware 3AAH be any help to me?, if yes. Please mail it to me at: Henrik@hbar.dk

Thanks.