Sign in to follow this  
drvik

2 dead Western Digital hard drives

I received 2 shiny new WD5000KS (the *NEW* 500Gb models) 36 hours ago.... I was going to set them up for some benchmarking since very little information seems to be available for these drives... initially I was really struggling with seting them up... I figure it was just me, never having dealt with SATA, RAID and the onboard NF4 and Silicon 3114 SATA controllers... trying out one drive at a time and running WD diagnostic software revealed infact that one drive had a broken servo/seek element... RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!! Very disappointing... so anyway, I thought I may aswell get to installing linux on the remaining drive.... noticed strange slowdown problems during file operations... then, following a reset of the machine I saw a BIOS S.M.A.R.T. error message telling me that the drive was in imminent danger of failing!! And soon enough, several resets later the drive was no longer being recognised by BIOS and during the reset procedure a nasty clicking noise was coming from the drive.....

My system is based on a DFI Expert MB powered by an Antec NeoHE 500W PSU.... I have 3 other PATA HDs and 1 DVD burner....

Can anybody shed any light on why this happened??? I find it hard to believe that WD have such terrible manufacturing processes, but then again 1 drive was DOA....

Any similar exeriences????

drvik

I received 2 shiny new WD5000KS (the *NEW* 500Gb models) 36 hours ago.... I was going to set them up for some benchmarking since very little information seems to be available for these drives... initially I was really struggling with seting them up... I figure it was just me, never having dealt with SATA, RAID and the onboard NF4 and Silicon 3114 SATA controllers... trying out one drive at a time and running WD diagnostic software revealed infact that one drive had a broken servo/seek element... RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!! Very disappointing... so anyway, I thought I may aswell get to installing linux on the remaining drive.... noticed strange slowdown problems during file operations... then, following a reset of the machine I saw a BIOS S.M.A.R.T. error message telling me that the drive was in imminent danger of failing!! And soon enough, several resets later the drive was no longer being recognised by BIOS and during the reset procedure a nasty clicking noise was coming from the drive.....

My system is based on a DFI Expert MB powered by an Antec NeoHE 500W PSU.... I have 3 other PATA HDs and 1 DVD burner....

Can anybody shed any light on why this happened??? I find it hard to believe that WD have such terrible manufacturing processes, but then again 1 drive was DOA....

Any similar exeriences????

drvik

I have a WD 400GB RE2 that had SMART errors within 3 days of purchase. I ran WD's diag software and it remapped some blocks...not sure what is going on these days with WD...

Where did u buy the drive?

I have a WD 400GB RE2 that had SMART errors within 3 days of purchase. I ran WD's diag software and it remapped some blocks...not sure what is going on these days with WD...

Where did u buy the drive?

I purchased it from a Sydney based online dealer... drives were sourced from an Aussie distributor.... brand new model, brand new drives.... it's really got me worried... I was intending to set up a RAID0 array.... now I'm quite worried...

Anyone else experiencing problems with WD drives???

drvik

Sounds like a handling problem. The supplier/vendor may have received a "mishandled" (i.e., shipped via UPS) batch of disks, & you were one of the unlucky ones.

I just received my response from Western Dig...

I understand your frustration and concern. Western Digital manufactures desktop edition hard drives and RAID Edition hard drives. Each type of hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment or on RAID controller. If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses. The WD25000KS drive is not a raid drive. I would suggest returning these drives to your place of purchase and exchange them for our WD25000YD raid edition drives. See the link below

Title: What is the difference between Desktop edition and RAID (Enterprise) edition hard drives?

URL: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...ated=1131638613

Is it just me or has he totally missed my point? And totally confused my hard drives with another model...?? And is he implying that if I put a non-RAID designed drive into a RAID configuration then the hard drive will mechanically fail??

Anyone else had these sorts of issues with WD??? Infact, what is it with this particula model of drive... seems that it is a highly anticipated model with lots of performace promise... yet despite me being able to purchase it there are no reviews of the drive except for the link I posted in another thread about 1 month ago...

drvik

Guest 888

Yes, they gave you a totally messed-up answer! Wrong problem description, totally wrong non-existing drive model numbers listed. Shame on their customer service... Or may-be this was an automatic reply from some sort of robots :P

Oh dear. I stopped buying WD for my company after a 40Gb BB series drive went back FOUR! times before we got one that worked. Each return was a 'receritified' drive, which then broke again after a time period of between 3 days up to two months after integration. Like I said, I don't buy WD anymore.

Oh dear. I stopped buying WD for my company after a 40Gb BB series drive went back FOUR! times before we got one that worked. Each return was a 'receritified' drive, which then broke again after a time period of between 3 days up to two months after integration. Like I said, I don't buy WD anymore.

For whatever it's worth, I'm also having troubles with a WD5000KS. It only reports one SMART attribute, namely the first of 15 WD supports, "Raw Read Error Rate". So, for example, the drive temperature is not reported.

In contrast, I have a WD1500ADFD (Raptor) hooked up to the same controller and it properly reports all 15 SMART attributes.

I've gone back and forth with WD tech support to no avail. They have very kindly offered to exchange the drive under warranty, as has NewEgg, but I think I going to bail out to a 7K500 even though it's a lot more expensive than the WD5000KS at NewEgg.

Anyone else having trouble reading the SMART attributes on the WD5000KS?

For reference, I have an A8N-SLI Premium and am using the nForce4 SATA ports with no RAID. The software I'm using is Active SMART and Speedfan. (Although WD's own diagnostics also return only the first SMART attribute.)

wd support is none existance; very picky on warranty service, too. when i messed up shipping (did not put the drive in anti-static bag & my warranty voided & wd asked me for 15usd shipping fee for sending my broken drive

no wonder 500gb class drive deals have been poping up here & there recently.

i was going to order an external version of 500gb wd drive which is selling for 250usd, but i have to think about it

Guest 888

You're right.. Recertified drives tend to die very soon (usually, although there are also exceptions of course). This is because of they use simple recertifying (like reformatting) by software utilities there. They do not open the drive, they do not fix the real problem inside. In example half-crashed heads which would continue to produce magnetic dust and so the drive is again out of condition very soon.

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd update you all on these replacement drives.... they have been working ok since they arrived until recently... for the last week or so I have been getting lockups on my linux desktop when it's been left running for a few hours forcing me to perform a hard reset... subsequently during the BIOS post message one of the drives cannot be found.... only a complete power down will restore things back to normal.... This behaviour is obviously not acceptable in a server that runs 24/7.....

Check out this newegg WD5000KS feedback link

Consider avoiding this drive if you have other options....

drvik

Simple. Bad batch or damaged in shipping. DOA drives (both would be considered DOA) aren't that rare. If you posted "TWO WD drives fail after 2 months" that would be highly suspect. But in this case, not unheard of.

Of course, it could be WD having trouble with making them, but I doubt they would fill the market with them if many were testing bad.

Edit just read the rest. Dunno what's happening with the replacement. Could it be something with the motherboard?

Edited by K15

I don't know my WD SMART info, but for what it's worth ...

Two of my drives, same age, same usage.

OEM IBM 40 GB at 68% SMART fitness.

Retail Maxtor 40 GB at 98% SMART fitness.

Both were bought locally.

Draw whatever conclusions you like. ;)

I don't know my WD SMART info, but for what it's worth ...

Two of my drives, same age, same usage.

OEM IBM 40 GB at 68% SMART fitness.

Retail Maxtor 40 GB at 98% SMART fitness.

Both were bought locally.

Draw whatever conclusions you like. ;)

It means nothing. Different drive manufactures report SMART parameters in different ways and programs that try to assess their "fitness" based on these values frequently get it wrong. Every Seagate drive I've owned in the last few years (cuda4's, cuda5's and 7200.7's) have *all* reported smart "fitness" of somewhere between 55 and 68 after only a week of operation. It's just the way those drives report their SMART values. One the other hand I've had maxtor's that have reported over 90% fitness right up to the day they died. Draw whatever conclusions you like. ;)

Like uart said, SMART fitness can not be measured in percents. I suggest you don't trust those percentiles the SMART monitoring utilities give. You gotta see the values themselves to understand the condition. And you have to understand the values to interpret them. Some are easy to interpret - some other could require insider knowledge.