Freak1

Difrent drives in raid?

I had 4x Seagate 7200.8 SATA 150 8mb but 1 was defective and was exhanged. I asked for a drive exactly the same but they sendt med a 7200.9 ATA 300 16mb.

How will it effect my RAID 5 ?

Its running on a LSI MegaRAID SATA-300-x8 128mb PCI-X

Odds are it probably will not affect anything adversely if the drive is the exact same or greater capacity. If the .8 drive was 300GB and the .9 is 299.9GB, THEN you'll have issues. Without knowing exact models, I can't answer that question, but I think you'll be fine considering most manufacturers understand that you can't have an 'equivalent' drive that has less capacity.

Otherwise, as far as performance via cache differences or 1.5 versus 3.0, you probably won't see a difference. RAID, in general, is only as big and bad as the poorest component. For example, if you have 3 250 GB drives and a single 160GB in an array, the 250s will be dumbed down to 160GB within the array. So the .9 should do nothing to slow the array (now will it increase performance).

I was always told, when using SCSI drives, to not only get the same model (like 15K.3 Cheetah) but also, the same firmware, if they were going to be used in raid.

I would think differences in seek and latency between .8 and .9 would be a factor. I hope not, but it seems like it could be an issue.

they sendt med a 7200.9 ATA 300 16mb.

Is that a typo? Did you get an ATA or a SATA? If ATA, you won't be able to plug it in.

Yeah its a SATA 300.

Mad hatter Ill try and see how it goes.

I have successfully used drives of different character before (ie: mixing drives of a similar size but different geometry, cache sizes, even different rotational speeds) before. I'm always unsure if I'm paying some performance penalty for it.

Odds are it probably will not affect anything adversely if the drive is the exact same or greater capacity. If the .8 drive was 300GB and the .9 is 299.9GB, THEN you'll have issues.

3ware rounds down the usage by a gig under a certain size, and 5 gig over that, for exactly that reason.. you can put a 161 gb and a 160 gb together, and it'll use 160ish.