Sign in to follow this  
Big Buck Hunter

Maxtor 250 on it's deathbed

A while ago, I converted my CD, Casette, and Vynil collection to ogg/FLAC and ogg/vorbis files. I used 4x maxtor 250GB drives to do this and wasn't really concerned about data loss since I have the origional source material.

One of the 250GB drives has developed a problem. After 30 minutes of use, the drive heats up and emits a loud screech/whistle. Sometimes it is one long beep, somethimes it is up to three long beeps in a row. After this occurs a few times, my machine hard locks (running kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r7). None of the other drives exhibit the problem. Each drive is in it's own 5 1/4" drive bay (lots of room) without active cooling.

The questions are, has anyone had this particular problem before? Did using active cooling fix the problem? Do these drives have inherent thermal issues?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

i personally think that you should run the powermax software. See if there are any read errors or even temp issues. I think spinrite can measure, thru the drive's own thermometer, temperature. If the drive is above 46 degrees celcius then it is not good for drive. If the drive reaches such temps frequently, i would be scared. If it happens infrequent, then it is okay. But try the cooling as bikeman has suggested and also try running the drive unscrewed from the chassis itself. Just dangling. If the dangling scenerio produces more heat then you know that the drive is getting too hot from itself. if the drive is cool, then something is giving / containing heat for the drive!

SCSA

Good luck

A while ago, I converted my CD, Casette, and Vynil collection to ogg/FLAC and ogg/vorbis files. I used 4x maxtor 250GB drives to do this and wasn't really concerned about data loss since I have the origional source material.

One of the 250GB drives has developed a problem. After 30 minutes of use, the drive heats up and emits a loud screech/whistle. Sometimes it is one long beep, somethimes it is up to three long beeps in a row. After this occurs a few times, my machine hard locks (running kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r7). None of the other drives exhibit the problem. Each drive is in it's own 5 1/4" drive bay (lots of room) without active cooling.

The questions are, has anyone had this particular problem before? Did using active cooling fix the problem? Do these drives have inherent thermal issues?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I'm calling it...Shens- the real BBH, being the big music fan he is, would know how to spell vinyl or cassette correctly! Must be some impostor like 'honold' using BBH's acct, as we all know BBH stopped posting on SR last year, lol (j/k, j/k BBH).

Seriously, if Gilbo were still posting to SR on a regular basis, he'd be sarcastically waiting for what he calls 'lexwalker the troll' to chime in about how you should never buy Maxtor. Any 'inherent thermal issues' Gilbo would contend are merely anecdotal in nature.

My suggestion (since Eugene hasn't kept the site up to date with timely reviews of anything recently) is to visit Anandtech (where Future Shock spends all his time ranting and raving like he used to do on the B&G), far greater numbers of membership there, so if there were any people more than a small sample having this problem with the drives, you'd be more likely to find out over there.

Sounds like the luck of the draw, you just got a defective drive, which you'll have to RMA with Maxtor then.

Which particular Maxtor drive/model, btw?

4x as in stripped drives? You do know that is expressly forbidden on SR, don't you? ;). Are you sure that only one drive is making the noise(s)? If they were mounted one top of the other, even in a 5.25 drivebay setup, you could still mistake the sounds as coming from only one drive. So you have no spare drives to boot from, or CD/DVD; just thinking your OS files could be corrupted, and the drives may not have anything to do with the 'hard freeze'?

Sorry, I have no answers other than to try Anandtech (maybe even ars technica, some pretty sharp hardware techies over there). It's a bad drive, you'll have to replace it. Ever consider dual layer DVD to back-up another set with (or in a matter of months there will be a number of expensive Blu-Ray or HD-DVD Hi-Def recordable drives on the market that would reduce the number of optical disks you need to make a set)?

:o

The drive is the top/middle drive (not the far top). I know you were probably thinking along the "heat rises" line. This drive seems to be much hotter than the others, even hot to the touch. I have only run powermax while the drive is in a cool running state, with no errors reported. So, it's not bad sectors, it simply overheats easily and fails. The other funny thing is that /var/log/messages doesn't contain any errors after the drive causes the IDE subsubsystem to lock up.

I'm going to see if mounting the drive upside-down changes things (let it rest on the other bearing or something). I have a 2.5TB array comming in next week. Worst case scenario is that I leave this particular drive offline till then. I'll simply be missing Natalie Cole through Styx (artists are in semi-alphabetical order). Not listening to Styx won't be a huge loss.

Thanx Muchly,

Frank Russo

Sounds like a head stuck/crash/unable to load boot code scenario in some of the development drives I got here at work. I'd say look at the SMART value and see if any is out of limit or continues to grow. RMA if needed.

AFAIK there is no known reliability issue in MaxLine II, most likely a unit that got bad due to mishandling or environmental condition. Why don't you pop it in another machine and use a smart utility to get the values and post it here, we can take a look at them for you.

Edited by pandabear

Hey Frank, nice to hear from you again. I've heard that problem before (the long screech/whistle, not the 3 beeps). You're drive is failing/toast. Not that this will make you feel any better, but man, I must be blessed by the magnetic storage Gods, since I've never ever had a hard drive failure on one of my own machines *knocks on woody* This of course excludes drives I've inadvertantly knocked off the table, etc :D

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

I've heard that problem before (the long screech/whistle, not the 3 beeps). You're drive is failing/toast.

Tis what I thought. I'm probably just going to leave the power plug undone till the 3ware array arrives from ASA.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo