Sign in to follow this  
udaman

Apple: it's official, WinXP/Vista bootable Intel Mac's

http://www.macrumors.com/

"Along with Boot Camp, Apple has posted firmware updates to all their Intel Macs today. These firmware updates provide EFI with BIOS support, allowing all Intel Macs to boot operating systems such as Windows XP and Linux. This should also allow the Intel Macs to boot upcoming operating systems, such as Windows Vista. The Boot Camp CD which was posted simply provides needed Mac-specific drivers for full support of Windows XP on the Intel Macs.

Unlike previous solutions, it appears that Apple is providing Windows drivers for their Intel Mac hardware. This means, accelerated graphics and support for networking etc.. under Windows XP.

"

Well, support for Linux/*BSDs will (as always) be providered by the community...

Just the point I would like to make is: WHY? Why install Windows on a PC that already comes with Mac OS X?

(And don't come back with: becuase we can!)

With this move, does that mean Apple is willing to relegate itself to just becoming another Dell/HP/IBM? and potentially kill off MacOS X in the future? :unsure:

Sure Apple hardware has always looked nice (even considered buying a G4 cube way back when), but what does Apple have to differentiate itself from the rest of the marketplace? Or is Apple relying on symbotic marketing? (People like the "Apple iPod" so will buy an "Apple PC" to go with it - even though the Dell is most likey 10% cheaper - even though is spec'd roughly the same).

All I can say, all the power to them! But when do the costs come into play?

I don't think that is the case, I would consider buying one of their laptop computers and to be able to run both operating systems is very nice, I don't have to go and buy two completely different laptops just because I want the different platforms when I need them. Besides, Apple's laptop line of computers are very well designed and thin, I don't care much about their weight but they are just very well built laptops. Well my point was that Apple wants sales and if their computers can get people to switch over and still be able to run some of their Windows applications on their machines then that is a benefit to them and the customers, also they can have customers that like to have all sorts of operating systems and they are fully supported under it's hardware, which I may add that I'd love to have Windows and Mac OS X in one machine running natively and switch to the operating systems when I need to do a specific task.

Edited by Maxtor storage

Apple are providing 'something extra' by allowing mulitple OS's, officially. I don't have a problem with with any company willing to do this - It may actually increase mac sales as now people could also put XP on it to play games, then boot to OS Leopard for their "serious work" !

Personally I love the way macs are so quiet, and look great, but still use a PC with XP and Linux on it.

Nox

Of course, their laptops is the only thing i'll ever consider buying, now I don't have to buy two laptops.

Edited by Maxtor storage

This will make a lot of people happy. Many times Apple sales are lost because people need to run a particular Windows App that just doesn't have a Apple equivalent. Not to mention the PC games.......

Just the point I would like to make is: WHY? Why install Windows on a PC that already comes with Mac OS X?

I'm already considering an 17" iMac running Windows XP for my wife. Its tiny and integrated with very few wires - just power and network. The keyboard and mouse are wireless.

It'll be running Windows XP Professional for two reasons. First, she's used to Windows and doesn't care to learn something else. Second, I run an AD domain plus Exchange - no MAPI version of Outlook, IIRC.

Sure, I could just keep her Windows box, but I don't believe there is an integrated solution as nice as the iMac from any other vendor.

OTOH, I do plan on getting a Core Duo Mac mini for an HTPC. I'll keep OS X on that one so I can use Front Row and the Apple Remote.