rachel1997

most reliable notebook hard drive

What is the most reliable notebook 2.5" hard drive. I had a 80gb WD Scorpio which crashed after 4 months. That might have been bad luck, but if there is a more reliable brand I'd like to get that one instead. I read one review which said that generally seagates are the most reliable. (I don't know if I can quote that professional review on this site). Thanks

Guest 888

Notebook drives reliability is insufficiently researched/documented yet. But generally it feels like Seagate and Hitachi are the strongest experts in 2,5" drive production today. Both in performance and reliability. But still do not take my words as a statement...

Thanks. I'm going to get a Seagate. Any difference in reliability between the 1 disc 60GB ST96812A and the 80GB 2 disc st9808211A/st98823A? The price for the 80GB is not that much more than the 60, but if a 1 platter drive could be more reliable then I might give up some space. Thanks

Guest 888

Theoretically 1-platter drive is always more reliable, more quiet and cooler than 2-platter drive. But sometimes some other manufacturing details may change the general picture. I can't comment about the real situation with these two exact models, because of insufficient reliability information I have.

Not to say that they're not good drives, but a number of manufacturers were putting the ill-fated deathstar's in their desktop machines for a while to. I think that unless there's obvious manufacturering problems with one brand over another it has more to do wiith which they can get $3 cheaper in batches of 1000.

-Chris

I know many including myself that have Seagate momentus in their HP notebooks and they're rock solid and quiet. HP puts them in most their notebooks.

I personally prefer Hitachi as the IBM travelstar has the best overall reliability in the past. The worst I have found is Toshiba as I have seen 3 Toshiba died in my friends' laptop.

But, like all other hard drives, it varies from generation to generation.

I have an 80GB Toshiba in my laptop and it passed the 9 month mark. If the drive only lasted four months did your return or RMA it?

I returned it with an RMA. I will sell it on ebay. I had a segate 80GB 5400 installed.

Only failed drives I see are Hitachi/IBM Travelstars. The Seagates and WDs seem to last pretty well. Repairs I always fit Seagate or WD. The little WD is a nice drive considering how long it's been since WD made a 2.5" unit.

My own laptop has an early Seagate 40Gb 5400rpm unit in it, and it's still going strong considering the laptop has been dropped several times (and is in really bad condition).

Only failed drives I see are Hitachi/IBM Travelstars.
Me too. I just had the second failure in a row on a 7K60. This is the warranty replacement, and it died at 6 months of age. For a while the BIOS wouldn't acknowledge its existence, but after some struggle I managed to recover all but 3736 sectors (out of about 120 million). I am so over Hitachi drives.

I also have a co-worker who's had three IBM laptop drives die.

Even though I still have 1.75 years of free replacement drives from Hitachi, I'm replacing it with a Seagate Momentus 7200.1.

If you get a Travelstar, and it starts making "clunk" noises (a bit like a low-pitched wooden xylophone) as it retries reads, then make damn sure your back ups are up to date; you'll have unrecoverable sectors galore in a couple of months.

I haven't seen any other dead laptop drives than IBM/Hitachi's. Then again I haven't seen any other laptop drive whatsoever...