eva2000

Areca 1220 vs Highpoint 2320 choice if....

I know Areca 1220 would beat Highpoint 2320 hands down especially in raid 5 which is what i want to do upgrade my Raidcore BC4852 raid 5 array to either one of the new PCI-E raid controllers....

But here's the kicker, in USA both these controllers have 3yr warranties whereas in Australia both only have only 1yr warranties.

Areca 1220 costs AUD$953

vs

Highpoint 2320 costs AUD$443

AUD$1 = US$0.71ish now

With both only have 1yr warranty, would it be worth forking out more than twice the price for Areca controller, knowing after 1yr there is no warranty ?

my Raidcore BC4852 is on 32bit/33mhz slot with 4x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 NCQ raid 5 with 60MB/s real file transfer speed right now.

Which would you choose for raid 5 arrays if you only had 1yr warranty ?

thanks

Why are you uppgrading?

To get speed or to move to PCI-E? Or some other reason?

Anyway since the only performance test I've seen on the HPT2320 had quite good sequential transfer rates both during read and write I would go for it if it fits your usage pattern. I think the Areca cards although blistering fast are way too expensive.

Have you considered the Promise EX8350? Recently I was just about to purchase a HPT2320 but changed my mind and went for the EX instead, it is not as fast as the Areca in tests but still VERY fast. I am very pleased with performance although I haven't been able to use it to its fullest potential since I now have other bottlenecks.

Why are you uppgrading?

To get speed or to move to PCI-E? Or some other reason?

Anyway since the only performance test I've seen on the HPT2320 had quite good sequential transfer rates both during read and write I would go for it if it fits your usage pattern. I think the Areca cards although blistering fast are way too expensive.

Have you considered the Promise EX8350? Recently I was just about to purchase a HPT2320 but changed my mind and went for the EX instead, it is not as fast as the Areca in tests but still VERY fast. I am very pleased with performance although I haven't been able to use it to its fullest potential since I now have other bottlenecks.

well the reason for the upgrade is Raidcore BC4852 in OZ is virtually discontinued only a handful of places stock them as order in items at AUD$550+ each

my current BC4852 is out of warranty 1.5yrs old on 1yr warranty in OZ, so if it was to fail, even a raid 5 array would be useless as i wouldn't be able to get my data back unless i sourced another BC4852.

whereas, Areca, Highpoint controllers have alot of availability as PCI-E would be a speed upgrade for me as my BC4852 is only on 32bit/33mhz PCI slot right now.

Promise EX8350 i read ran very hot and had poor raid 5 write performance ?? it costs AUD$780 here in Australia with 1yr warranty - that's only AUD$173 less than Areca 1220 PCI-E controller!

The 1yr warranty really throws a spanner in the works, as i wouldn't mind forking out AUD$953 for Areca if it had 3yr warranty, but 1yr is an expensive risk!

It does sound like Highpoint 2320 is the choice right now though unless folks here have other opinions or comments ? :)

thanks

Edited by eva2000

As far as raid 5 performance goes, it is excellent according to my short testing, and I can't recall that any test I viewed before purchase indicated anything else (if it had I probably would have avoided it).

Hot? Yes the chip gets quite warm, compared to the asic on my lousy hpt 1640 it is a furnace, but it is cooler than the heatsink on my graphics card and cooler than the heatsink on my chipset so I don't mind, you can put a small DIY fan on it like there is on the Areca.

Anyway the highpoint seems to be a very reasonable product, the only reason for me to go with the EX8350 was the fact that I saw it as a long term investment and on long term investments I tend to spend some extra cash (and it gave me some extra cache :)).

I just would be careful since you already have quite a good controller (although bandwidth limited by PCI) your expectations might be quite high, and it always sucks to spend money and get something worse than you already have.

Promise EX8350 i read ran very hot and had poor raid 5 write performance ?? it costs AUD$780 here in Australia with 1yr warranty - that's only AUD$173 less than Areca 1220 PCI-E controller!

The 1yr warranty really throws a spanner in the works, as i wouldn't mind forking out AUD$953 for Areca if it had 3yr warranty, but 1yr is an expensive risk!

I agree with you on the warranty, for quality equipment you expect long warranty. It's like it tells you what the manufacturer thinks of its own product.

Hmmm... seems the EX8350 is quite expensive in australia. When I bought mine It was only slightly more expensive than the hpt2320, considerably cheaper than the Areca.