opq

WD740 74GB Raptor Freezing

Hi, I've had my Raptor 74GB since August, and since day 1 it's been giving me weird freezing problems. I thought it was to do with RAM and my shuttle SD31P compatibility but today when having the problem for a while I swapped out the Raptor and the computer is fine.

SMART on drivei s fine, and WD DLG tools don't pick anything up.

I wonder what can be wrong? The computer freezes every 1 in 10 or so until i shake it and repower on at POST. Sometimes it freezes inside Windows. When it freezes the HDD light stays on indefinitely.

Edited by opq

Try the drive in another (otherwise known to be good) PC. If that starts crashing, WD ought to allow an RMA with or without a DLG code. You could ask if they will RMA the drive based on your experience so far. If shaking the computer/drive helps, that sounds like a mechanical fault to me.

Also, run DLG more than once - I recently RMA'd my WD740GD. I'd been getting data corruption, but when I ran the test the result it gave was different each time (sometimes it froze during the test) - eventually, the fault I returned it on was "unable to complete self test".

Mine had the very same problem. With a nasty "click" at startup. RMA'd it and changed with a brand new one with no quirks. I just want to thank WD for their support.

Regards, Fuz!

No guaranteed way, but I struck lucky and got a week old FLC0 where I'd returned an 18 month old FLA1 or similar.