Sign in to follow this  
xSTLx

Seasonic or PC Power & Cooling Power Supply?

Seasonic or PC Power & Cooling Power Supply?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Tired of Power Supply Problems, want to buy the best.

• Seasonic
    • PC Power & Cooling
    • Other : I am suggesting another brand.

I think many of my computer problems could be related to my PSU. No matter where you ask the popular opinion is that Seasonic and PC Power & Cooling are the best Power Supplies out there. Seems everyone has a favorite between the two so let’s do a poll for my new power supply. Vote for your favorite Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or your favorite other brand. Why do you like it or hate the other. Model suggestions and experiences are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance for your vote.

The Antec Neo HE series are also good, but I prefer Seasonic for their quietness and efficiency.

While PC Power & Cooling might make stable power supplies, Seasonic also makes stable power supplies *and* they are very, very quiet. With prices being about the same, you'll be amazed at what a silent computer can do to help your stress levels.

PCP&C :::also:::: makes very quiet power supplies (Silencer Line), and as someone who has used PCP&C, Antec and Seasonic...and while they're all good, I still think PCP&C is a notch above the rest.

-Chris

Long time user of Enermax supplies here. I only recently retired my 431W unit as I needed a supply with 24-pin power, and the old unit was starting to lack 12V. Not running a 600W unit. Very happy with both.

The 431W was new when I upgraded to an Athlon 800, when they had just come out, so that should tell you how long ago that was - maybe 5 years+. It ran 24/7 for most of that time, and both fans are still quiet.

I voted for PCP&C, as I think they are better, but both companies make really good Power supplies, and I would use either (have both now, as a matter of fat). I would prefer the Seasonic as it is a bit more efficient and the fan is quieter.

PCP&C Silencer 470 review.

Depends what you need... the nicer PCP&C stuff is pretty nice and they no longer sound like jet engines, but I bought a Seasonic S12-600 myself. :)

For truly ridiculous, look at Zippy/Emacs, Delta, NMB, Etasis... but those brands are all pretty firmly in the realm of industrial grade server units.

Well actually I am working on choosing hardware for a new system, when the new one is done this supply will be used for the new system. However I find your negative statements insulting, some would not need a more powerful pc but their PSU could still die right. :huh:

I think a lot of your systems problems arise from the fact that it is OLD and you tinker with it way too much. Just get a new one.

Hit the nail on the head....

Future Shock

Well actually I am working on choosing hardware for a new system, when the new one is done this supply will be used for the new system. However I find your negative statements insulting, some would not need a more powerful pc but their PSU could still die right. :huh:

I still fail to see why a systems age has anything to do with wanting a more stable and reliable power supply, geesh some socket 7 boards use ATX supplies and if mine died in my Socket 7 machine I would have to still decide upon a new supply and then purchase the supply, and educated choice is always preferable in any situation. :huh:

I still fail to see why a systems age has anything to do with wanting a more stable and reliable power supply, geesh some socket 7 boards use ATX supplies and if mine died in my Socket 7 machine I would have to still decide upon a new supply and then purchase the supply, and educated choice is always preferable in any situation. :huh:

Because it's not just the system's age - it's the fact that you are constantly opening it up and screwing around with it. The story of your video card upgrade was legendary - I can still remember the thread, which (considering how many threads I have read here) says a lot.

My mother still runs a micro-ATX Asus 266M board with an Athlon 1600+ that I built in 2001 or so. She once blocked the air intake with some stacks of paper, and the PS burned out, which I replaced for $31 or so. Other than that, the system has run like a champ. She is online constantly (retired), and it is rarely off.

Why is her system so stable? Cause she doesn't mess with it - unlike yourself, who is constantly fiddling and plugging boards in and out. This installs drivers in the OS that are never possible to remove completely in some cases, it always stresses the motherboards PC-board, it introduces mechanical wear on the PCI/AGP slots, and always gives something the possibility of going wrong. If you had ever taken any Systems Engineering courses you would have learned that simplicity and economy breeds reliability...

And THAT'S why I did a drive-by response to this thread... :-()

Future Shock

That’s fine; you suppose and neglect to ask. What is FS doing here, trying to pull rank or something; you think I do not know those facts? "Who is constantly fiddling and plugging boards in and out" Ok I agree I have replaced my video card a couple of times and perhaps upgraded a few things like pci cards and hard drives but it is by no means constant and far far below the specified limits for pci and agp slot connects and disconnects (you should know this Mr. took a few sys engi courses at community college.) In planning for a new PSU I have considered all other things that may need upgrading or replacement because it is a 'legendary' expedition to get my computer out of my custom inlayed Aspen computer desk that is built into my home. The computer is in a compartment near my ceiling and requires a bit of monkey work to get the wiring disconnected and even more hard work for hours with mirrors and crawling about to get it reconnected. My upgrades are well planned and the computer is rarely opened not only to help system stability but also because it’s just hard. Not to mention my os is regularly reloaded eliminating any possible driver 'junk.' Anyway now FS joins the 'flaming' 'troll' crowd here on SR, guess 12K9 finally drove him to insanity, no matter how well I tried to 'meat shield' him. : http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...pic=19467&st=25 : If replacing a bad (checked my voltages they ARE out of spec) PSU requires a Matlock style defense team and a regular cannot ask a simple opinion of his comrades about a PSU replacement without being 'overflamed' perhaps I will follow a FS style route. Wow FS is the true 'Transformers' from fair, intelligent, mature, dedicated, and helpful to posters mod transforms into 'uber' 'flamer' student of the 12K9 school of online warfare.

It is a crap Ultra X Connect made by Powermax, other than being crap already it also has a horrible modular connection system that is plagued by loose connections, this is why I figure I could use a new one. My motherboard is only one year old, factory part from HP so caps probably ok. :)