Adde

Problems with new PCI-E SATA RAID adapter

I'm experimenting with a PCI-E SATA RAID adapter on my nForce 4 SLI board.

The only setting that can even boot is when the graphics card has a full 16 lanes and the storage adapter only has 1 pci-e lane. In that setup however the storage adapter doesn't even seem to power up, the bios screen is not displayed and the device manager in WinXP doesn't find any new storage adapter.

I've tried to switch to SLI setting, but the computer will only display a black screen, if the storage adapter is inserted or not doesn't matter.

I've tried to move the graphics adapter to the second slot, that doesn't work either (black screen).

What's the problem?

Is there any way to determine what to blame (mobo, graphics, storage) without testing with other parts? I don't have any other pci-e mobo, storage or graphics adapter to try with.

Since the graphics card is an old x300 I'm thinking about replacing it anyway, but I'm not very happy to do so if it doesn't solve my problem.

After studying the mobo manual I realized that in normal-mode the second x16 is not available at all. So I have to run in SLI-mode. When I do that and only have the graphics card plugged in the computer refuses to boot, which makes the graphics card a prime suspect. Isn't the graphics card supposed to work with 8 lanes? Or is a special SLI-compatible graphics card required?

After changing the ATI X300 graphics card to a nVidia 6600GT it worked very well.

A brief test just copying files back and forth in explorer indicates that the promise EX8350 rocks!

I'm ready to change my oppinion on raid that was previously based on software implementations and poor controllers. This is the way raid was meant to be run!

nVidia corporation probably disabled the correct usage of an ATI card in their chipset.

Or, the X300 is not capable of running without 16 lanes.

Both blames the corresponding manufacturers.

What model mobo is it? On mine (DFI) you have to put the areca card in the x16 slot nearest the cpu, and the gfx card in the lower slot

Nox