Honu

Rapt 150: Disabling Native Command Queuing

Anyone know how to disable NCQ in the Rapt 150? The only reply I found at SR on this suggests WDC Data Lifeguard Tools from WD's site. Tried it (v. 11), doesn't appear to work on the new Rapt 150. Anyone know how to do this?

The only reason I can think of for the problem is that DLT doesn't appear to allow changes on a bootable disk (which the Rapt now is). Is it possible you can't change the NCQ setting on a bootable drive? If so, is there a workaround to allow it?

Thanks in advance!

Usually, NCQ is disabled from the controller, either in BIOS or in the driver properties, accessible from Device Manager. If your controller doesn't support NCQ, the point is moot.

I disagree with that. Go to Tom's Hardware and search for NCQ. They say it's good.

SUSTAINED transfer rates can be slower with NCQ, but only marginally, but your computer almost NEVER reads or writes contiguously to the drive during everyday use. If the drive gets a lot of small read/write requests, like Windows does, NCQ boosts the overall performance.

NCQ is a technology that was developed by leading drive manufacturers. It is absolutely sure that they wouldn't have been investing in it if it was useless.

Every is a weighty word. Try 'almost all' instead.

PetyaMaster, I suggest you take a look as SR's own tests - in single user benchmarks, NCQ rarely helps - only one or two models actually improve single user performance with NCQ.

The reason is that NCQ introduces a small overhead, which doesn't pay for itself unless there are usually two or more requests queueing to be processed, and thus able to be reordered. In single user tasks, requests are usually issued sequentially, and average queue lengths rarely exceeds 2.

Unless you've got multiple queued requests, NCQ can't re-order anything, and it's just dead weight, pulling down performance a little.

If/when multiple requests are issued simultaneously, NCQ is great, and it helps a lot in server workloads where requests are frequent and completely random. My argument is that in single user tasks, the overall effect of NCQ is negative, because it only rarely gets called into action.

Thanks, Spod. That IS why I want to disable it. Doesn't look like it's possible with my Dell MOBO 0U7077. Oh well, the Raptor is much faster than my old Seagate Barracuda 7200.7. Or it was until . . . wel, that's a different thread, and I had better start it.