alphakilo

What's The Fastest 500G Drive Right Now?

Guest 888
Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, or WD?

No answer yet...

Because of there's no website or known to me valuable person who has tested all these drives on the same testbed yet. StorageReview, Tom'sHardware, Anandtech, Techreport have tested Seagate and Hitachi, BareFeats has tested Seagate, Hitachi and Maxtor (using completely different benchmarks, so the results are not comparable), nobody has tested WD... Although BareFeats has an interesting remark written: We haven't been able to get a sample unit of the Caviar SE16 (WD5000KS) yet but one reader reported Kona System Test times that were faster than any of the drives we tested above. However, there was an initial stutter that would have caused frames to be dropped. We hope to add it to this page soon.

Analyzing the data currently available (3 drives) it looks like Maxtor-500 could be really the fastest. The second one is probably Hitachi, although I see that it can already depend on test pattern used...

Eugene, what about a four 500GB drive roundup on SR now?

Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, or WD?

Hitachi.

Because neither the Maxtor nor WD are in widespread distribution yet, and hence you can't get them.

Personally, I didn't even know they existed at all yet. Regardless, between the two that are available, Hitachi beats Seagate hands down.

Guest 888
Because neither the Maxtor nor WD are in widespread distribution yet, and hence you can't get them.

Personally, I didn't even know they existed at all yet.

Many of my local shops are carrying Maxtor 500GB drives already a month or two now. And they have a real stock of all of them:

- Maxtor DiamondMax 11, 500 GB (6H500R0)

- Maxtor DiamondMax 11, 500 GB (6H500F0)

- Maxtor Maxline Pro, 500 GB (7H500R0)

- Maxtor Maxline Pro, 500 GB (7H500F0)

Prices are pretty high still...

WD5000KS is more rare item yet. But it's also available in some places already...

Guest 888
The following link at BareFeats mentions the new Western Digital 5000KS drive for those interested....

http://www.barefeats.com/hard68.html

That's a nice news! Looks like they have just recently updated the review and added that WD5000KS (plus Raptor 150) there. Although the small amount of test benchmarks they use are somewhat unusual, in comparison with other 500-drives the new WD5000KS looks very promising, maybe really the king of 500?

Anyone know about new Samsung 500GB T-166 series 3-platter drive? When??? In last autumn they listed its planned release to be in March'2006... but I think it would delay still...

Yea, the Mator can be bought here too. And it is so much cheaper than the Hitachi/Seagate.

We are looking at £50 difference ($80-90?).

Sure, it is still more expensive per GB than the sweetspot of ~300GB drives.

But it is actually better value per GB than than 400GB drives =O

(I'll like to stress "over here").

Edited by TooNice

"Here" and "local shops" in your case probably aren't situated in the UK. We over here tend to get these things later than everyone else :(

Edited by qasdfdsaq