JohnTheLuck

Asus A8N-SLI Premium RAID1 moving from SiI3114 to nVRAID

I currently have a single Raptor 74GB on nForce4 SATA controller, and two Maxtor 300GB in RAID1 on the Silicon Image 3114. The Maxtor have already a lot of stuff on them. I am looking to bring all drive together on nForce4 for performance purpose (SiI3114 is running on the PCI bus) and stability. I am experiencing frequent "rebuild" of the RAID1 array on the SiI3114.

My question is how to convert the RAID1 from the SiI3114 to the nForce4. Do I have to reformat everything or the current RAID1 will work only by moving the cables and configuring the BIOS.

Thanks,

JTL

I currently have a single Raptor 74GB on nForce4 SATA controller, and two Maxtor 300GB in RAID1 on the Silicon Image 3114. The Maxtor have already a lot of stuff on them. I am looking to bring all drive together on nForce4 for performance purpose (SiI3114 is running on the PCI bus) and stability. I am experiencing frequent "rebuild" of the RAID1 array on the SiI3114.

My question is how to convert the RAID1 from the SiI3114 to the nForce4. Do I have to reformat everything or the current RAID1 will work only by moving the cables and configuring the BIOS.

Thanks,

JTL

Bud,

Best thing is to rebuild the array completely.

Hopefully you can transfer everything off of the drives, format them and rebuild it using nForce4 raid.

Just a thought, but if you are experiencing "rebuild" on any raid array, it is usually one of the drives losing sectors, not the array chip itself. I would do a check on both Maxtors to confirm it isnt one of the drives.

You can use a utility like EVEREST Home Edition (Free) to check the health of the drives. I am betting one of them is causing you problems.

Hope this helps and good luck to you. :)

Just a thought, but if you are experiencing "rebuild" on any raid array, it is usually one of the drives losing sectors, not the array chip itself. I would do a check on both Maxtors to confirm it isnt one of the drives.

You can use a utility like EVEREST Home Edition (Free) to check the health of the drives. I am betting one of them is causing you problems.

Thanks for the answer.

I checked Everest Home Edition (the free version is now discontinued) but I didn't find how to test my array. It seems it only sees the virtual drive of the Silicon Image driver. How can a software do sanity check on a single device in a RAID array without disturbing the array manager ???

I am still running the version 1.0.0.0 of Silicon Array Manager. Maybe this is the cause of the problems. With all the problems around this MB, I am kind of affraid to upgrade any drivers. And to rebuild the array using the nvRAID, I need to do a backup of 45GB... Time for some cleanup I guess...

Any other suggestion?

JTL

Thanks for the answer.

I checked Everest Home Edition (the free version is now discontinued) but I didn't find how to test my array. It seems it only sees the virtual drive of the Silicon Image driver. How can a software do sanity check on a single device in a RAID array without disturbing the array manager ???

I am still running the version 1.0.0.0 of Silicon Array Manager. Maybe this is the cause of the problems. With all the problems around this MB, I am kind of affraid to upgrade any drivers. And to rebuild the array using the nvRAID, I need to do a backup of 45GB... Time for some cleanup I guess...

Any other suggestion?

JTL

Hi,

Everest Home Edition is available here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

I am curious, you say "all the problems around this MB"

I have the same one, great board, no issues and I run both the onboard raid, a Promise raid controller on PCI and a SCSI card on PCI.

"How can a software do sanity check on a single device in a RAID array without disturbing the array manager ???"

Here is how you can check the status of a drive on a raid. Seperate the drive from the raid, mount it on a normal Sata controller, DO NOT FORMAT IT. Then run the everest program. This should allow everest to check the status of the drive by itself.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Once you have the drives seperate. You probably want to use Maxtor's Powermax diagnostics on your drives just in case they are starting to suffer bad sectors as previously mentioned.

I am curious, you say "all the problems around this MB"

I have the same one, great board, no issues and I run both the onboard raid, a Promise raid controller on PCI and a SCSI card on PCI.

I am refering to the issues with IDE driver, nVidia hardware firewall, and more. Apart from the frequents rebuild I am experiencing, I must admit I don't have others issues with it. The problem is that the upgrade process of this MB is so complicated, I kept most of the original drivers from the original CD. You know, if you forget upgrading the driver prior doing so with the BIOS, your disk becomes unreadable. These kind of statements dont encourage upgrade...

What upgrade process did you performed on it?

JTL.

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to take one of the RAID1 drives and install it on the nForce by itself and have access to data on the drive. Then add the mirrored drive and let it rebuild. It would be better if you wiped the second drive before installing it so nForce doesn't get confused on which drive is the one to copy from. RAID1 is just mirroring so there should be no special parity calculations.