sotti

smaller raptors getting new features?

Anybody know if the 36gb or 74gb drives are going to get NCQ and the 16mb cache anytime soon?

The new 150gb raptor out perfoms the old ones by a measurable amount but I don't paticularly want to pop $300 for a 150GB drive as I have plenty of storage on the network, I just want a wicked fast system/game disk.

Guest 888

The answer is new small Raptor WD740ADFD (74GB) whis is (probably) already in some shops here and there. It is based on the new 150GB Raptor and has all of its new features.

Yes here in denmark the new version of the 74gb with 16mb has allready come but is also sold out allready so proberly not in very big numbers.

Does any1 know how it preforms? it looks really nice on the paper.

Here's one more Canadian shop found (don't know if they are shipping to US):

http://www.comtec.ca/wd-serial-10k-c-5270_5340_5344.html

(as you see, the prices for the old and new 74GB Raptors are almost the same there)

Anyway, you can search for it yourself - try in example Google or MSN-search with WD740ADFD string...

Insight has 140 of them in stock:

http://www.insight.ca/apps/productpresenta...uct_id=WD40ADFD

You're the only one who said it was 10%.

will be around 7-10% slower
you get on average ~7-10% better performance for every doubling of capacity
Edited by qasdfdsaq

Nope. Is it yours?

7-10% is estimated. There is no "specific number" at all. The FAQ entry states that performance increases resulting in doubling in capacity is around 7-10%. It also says that by doubling the platters, your performance increase is likely to be closer to 7%. It is still approximately in the 7-10% range.

Regardless, this is going off topic. I'm not going to continue responding to your condescending ignorance towards reading.

74GB Raptor with 16MB cache??? where did you hear that? No other site has mentioned it, let alone a retail outlet advertising it?

received two of the 740ADFD's today, haven't plugged them into anything yet though. insight has it marked as "discontinued", which would probably set a record for fastest product withdrawal, if it was actually true...

received two of the 740ADFD's today, haven't plugged them into anything yet though. insight has it marked as "discontinued", which would probably set a record for fastest product withdrawal, if it was actually true...

Would like to know how quiet they are.

I realize this is OT, but how do you interpret that chart? :huh:

And to contribute something to the topic, I'd expect a 74 GB version of the latest Raptor, but not a 36 GB version. From a manufacturing standpoint, single-head drives really don't sell all that well unless they're REALLY cheap, and it'd be difficult to make a Raptor cheap enough. I don't think I've ever seen a 10K single-head drive. Single-platter, yes. Single-head, no.

I realize this is OT, but how do you interpret that chart? :huh:

Ok.. the top numbers is the frequency in hertz, the ones on the left is decibles.

anything above the X's and O's, I can't hear.

So at 1000 hertz, I can't hear it until it gets to 95db.

At 250 hertz, it has to be 45db or so

The shaded area is the speech range.. so you can see i only hear a tiny bit of what's said.

Oddly enough, if i'm 3-4 feet away at most from someone, i can hear enough to know what they're talking about.

A few years ago, my hearing was in the 20-25db loss up till about 1000 hertz, and my effective range was about 10 feet.

Oh, and the tactile line, is what i can _feel_ instead of hear, according to them. My fingers or whatever are more sensitive than my ears, at most frequencies. That's actually how i hear if a pc speaker is beeping at me, although the NT/2000/XP system beep is loud enough and at the right frequency i can hear it, but I can't hear a POST beep, or a win95/98 beep.

I can touch the side of a case and tell you which fan is wearing out, or if the hard drive is clicking badly, but that's about it.