Sign in to follow this  
Freak1

2 Raid setups on 1 controller? SATAI+II.

I have been running a RAID 5 setup on my mainboard Abit AL8, But it was really slow so i was wondering if i should buy a raid controller and then its all good?

The drives are 4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 (ST3400832AS) 400 GB Hard Drive SATA.

I used a 80gb 7200 for system drive.

Ill also like to add 2 more drives for heavy load stuff (2x200) in a RAID 0 i thought it might asswell be SATA II with NCQ

The mainboard only have PCI-E 1x and PCI.

What will be the best setup? the 2 raids on a new raid controller and the system disc on the main board? The main board has SATA II controller.

And i need help finding a good controller for all this. I what to be able to add drives the an array without deleting the whole array first. not sure how much if any memory is needed on the controller.

And what about the 2x200gb drives, any thoughts?

Guest 888
And what about the 2x200gb drives, any thoughts?

There's very poor selection of good drive models in 200GB capacity segment today. 200GB is not a primary capacity point today and tomorrow.

Better select something from 160GB or 250GB. Depending what you need, more speed or more silence or more specific performance... SR Performance Database is a good helpful tool for it. For RAID you may consider in example WD2500YD.

BTW, SATA2 is not a "must to be" thing.

Edited by 888

I looked around after a raid controller and so far i found this: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2220.htm

What do you guys think?

It's PCI-X (!= PCI Express). Sure, it says it's compatible with PCI, but the bandwidth on the PCI bus is small to begin with (133 MB/sec peak, which probably means you'll get something like 100MB/sec if there's nothing else on the PCI bus; for comparison, the bandwidth of a SATA I link is 150MB, SATA II - 300MB). If this limit is not a problem for you, I'd say give it a try, but also make sure you can return it if you're unsatisfied with it or it just doesn't work.

i only have PCI and PCI-E 1x on my MB

I can offcourse buy a new mainboard but does it really make that big of a difrence?

Well, hard to tell:). What are your current performance numbers?

Yes, you can get a new mobo, but in the end you might end up with little performance on top of what you have right now, so benchmarking is very important. Get iometer and give it a shot.

Guest 888
Any reason not to take the cheaper Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250 GB / 7200 rpm / 16 MB / Serial ATA II / 8.9 ms

No significant differences in performance characteristics.

But in RAID config the WD2500YD may work better (it has RAID-specific TLER firmware), also it is more tested at factory which means (theoretically) more reliability, plus it has 5-year warranty (2500KS has 3- year).