Smithdogg1

Raid without a Raid controller?

My motherboard does not have a raid controller nor do I have a PCI raid card. However I would like to set up two 250 GB hard drives in a raid 1 array on a home workstation. Do I need a controller to do this? Or can I just make the disks dynamic and then make them mirrored via disk management? Also does raid 1 really slow down your computer by a noticeable amount?

There are a number of specific software RAID solutions out there, but regardless of the RAID type, they'll all be slower than a hardware solution. I run RAID-1 logical drives because the data is important and speed isn't an issue, if the computer gets any faster it'll melt. ;)

My motherboard does not have a raid controller nor do I have a PCI raid card. However I would like to set up two 250 GB hard drives in a raid 1 array on a home workstation. Do I need a controller to do this? Or can I just make the disks dynamic and then make them mirrored via disk management? Also does raid 1 really slow down your computer by a noticeable amount?

You can do that, but you won't be able to boot from disk 1 if disk 0 fails. Have you considered simply using the extra disk for backups? That way you're also covered in the event that you accidentally delete some files, etc.

Performance depends on implementation, but in theory RAID 1 offers faster reads and slower writes.

There are a number of specific software RAID solutions out there, but regardless of the RAID type, they'll all be slower than a hardware solution.

That is FUD. It was true in the past ... but many of today's PC's have far more I/O bandwidth, memory bandwidth, and CPU power than most RAID controllers could hope for. I'm not knocking hardware RAID -- but it's important to keep things in proper perspective. :)