Sign in to follow this  
gaviota

Image scanners and Windows 2003 Server

I have a workstation that uses Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition, Service Pack 1, and I need to use an image scanner in this PC, so I tried installing an old HP ScanJet 3400C I had lying around, but it doesn't work because the drivers are compatible with Windows XP but not with 2003 Server.

So I tried buying a new one, but to my surprise, all the ones I've seen are listed as compatible with Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP Pro and XP Home (even Mac OS), but none is listed as compatible with 2003 Server. So, can anyone recommend me a scanner in the $80 - $150 range that's compatible with Windows 2003 Server.

I have a workstation that uses Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition, Service Pack 1, and I need to use an image scanner in this PC, so I tried installing an old HP ScanJet 3400C I had lying around, but it doesn't work because the drivers are compatible with Windows XP but not with 2003 Server.

So I tried buying a new one, but to my surprise, all the ones I've seen are listed as compatible with Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP Pro and XP Home (even Mac OS), but none is listed as compatible with 2003 Server. So, can anyone recommend me a scanner in the $80 - $150 range that's compatible with Windows 2003 Server.

I use Epson 4990 ($450) with Windows 2003 SP1. Perhaps their cheaper scanners will also work.

Guess why it doesn't work... They're not supposed to be installed on a server. Why do you even run W2K3 on a workstation?

Guess why it doesn't work... They're not supposed to be installed on a server. Why do you even run W2K3 on a workstation?

I use Windows 2003 Server because:

1) The site is a clinical lab, and they use a couple of applications to control an Automated Chemistry Analizer and an Elisa Microplate Processor, both of which only run on Windows, so Linux is not an option.

2) This is the only computer on this site, and besides the local console user I need to have two additional concurrent remote users. For this, I use remote desktop connection, and as far as I know, you can't have three concurrent users in Windows XP.

Drivers usually work in the next OS version. For example, most Win 2K drivers work with XP. The changes from XP to 2K3 are mostly storgage related.