Sign in to follow this  
HyperSlug

Would VMware ESX/GSX benefit from SCSI?

As many of you know, VMware Server (previously GSX) is now free. So I've been thinking of experimenting with it a bit. (Actually I'm demoing ESX which is a little difft.)

I'm running it for a dev team so 2 of my VM's will be Win 2k3 servers: IIS6 on one, SQL 2k5 on the other. The others will be various test workstations: 98, ME, 2K, XP, maybe Vista?

Question: Does this setup constitute a server access pattern that benefits from SCSI? Or would IDE drives work just fine?

It would only matter if 5+ people will simultaneously access the VMware instances running on the machine. If only you and 1-2 other people will be accessing the instances, then it shouldn't matter too much. But even then, for testing purposes, would performance really matter that much? How about getting a SATA drive for each VMware instance? That should alleviate the congestion at the drives somewhat, in addition to having roomier instances.

As many of you know, VMware Server (previously GSX) is now free. So I've been thinking of experimenting with it a bit. (Actually I'm demoing ESX which is a little difft.)

I'm running it for a dev team so 2 of my VM's will be Win 2k3 servers: IIS6 on one, SQL 2k5 on the other. The others will be various test workstations: 98, ME, 2K, XP, maybe Vista?

Question: Does this setup constitute a server access pattern that benefits from SCSI? Or would IDE drives work just fine?

By far the greatest benefit when it comes to VMWare is by adding more memory. If the VM was running stuff that you'd consider server tasks on a single machine then running it with others as a VM would be even more server'ish I imagine. Once VMware starts swapping performance drops through the floor. If you have 6 VM's on a box you'd need a lot of memory!

When saving and restoring snapshots though, random access doesn't really come into play, it's STR that counts.