Marconi

T7K250 vs p120 250GB SATA-II

I'd asked it at the roundup discussion but didn't get much response to it, maybe here it is a better place...

I saw that the T7k250 take the game performance by 90 I/O per second.

Since I want silence as well I wanted to know what is the real implication of that during a game.

Additional differences I have noticed was regarding the office test were P120 leads by 45 I/O per second

and of-course the P120 relatively silent.

This make the only drawback for me to choose P120 is the game performances.

Hitachi makes three times more noise than Samsung. Samsung is better at the high-end and Hitachi better at games.

Do you really think you notice the difference when playing a game? Only load times are affected.

I had the same doubts as you. My opinion is:

- Samsung is about €15 cheaper

- load times are only important once in a while, noise is always important.

You say: "real implication (...) during a game" there's no such thing a implication during a game, unless waiting for a level to load you call "during a game".

BTW Do you really think you notice if something takes 34.3 or 34.9 seconds?

Edited by patrick_

patrick_

You're saying the only difference is a few Milliseconds at load time, while the p120 is definitely quieter , then it is an obvious decision...

I don't thinks it was the right thing to crown the T7K250 as the performance in that situation. Thought we were talking more like a few seconds.

There's another issue I need to inquire before purchasing, and that is regarding to web design and related graphics & multimedia softwares.

How will the performance differences be like here?

student

I was thinking of some mods shown here and on SPCR but I will probably open a topic on it later on.

Thanks patrick_!!! :)

Since the P120 is much quieter and since the only game performance are of a few millisecond while on the other benchs there's no significant gaps, I'll go for the P120.

Hello.

Has anyone tested those disk under linux ?? I'm interested in a bit different test conditions than those made up by tests here in SR. The t7k250 has lower access times, but it has lower performance under io-meter (file server type load). It is not hard with todays parallel init systems to get some really queue depths, so I think the P120 would be faster here. On the other hand I do a lot of emerge (Gentoo you know, at times 2-3 compilations in parallel). What do you think, which drive would be faster ??

The P120 is quieter, but the t7k250 has this nice low-rpm mode (does it ?? the 7k250 has it) for really low power consumption. Note that my system is for about 60% at idle ( when I'm reading not compiling ). I also do alot of bzip2 decompression, and copy around the kernel tree ( lots of small files ), here the t7k250 would be faster, would it ??

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance,

cmdr_pain

Since my 80GB WD800JB is getting a bit full, I have to buy a new hd. I