kara2002

Maxtor MaxLine III 300GB - 7V300F0

Has anyone purchased this drive and can comment on the drives performance please? Also, is this a 2 or a 3 platter drive? Few user reviews for this drive on Newegg look good.

I tried to order the new Seagate 7200.9 ST3300622AS 300GB from buy.com ($120 after MIR) and order is delayed :( Says drive is unavailble from manufacturer.

I bought a few of these. Be cautious. There are MANY MANY threads on other forums (eg, the nVidia nforce support issues).

1. the drive is cheaper at newegg.com

2. this is a 3 platter design (3 x 100gb)

3. if you plan to use this with a nForce4 motherboard, you may have detection issues. Do a google search and you'll find that some folks had to go through hell to get firmware updates for the drive.

I have the latest firmware on this model now. However, none of my MSI nForce4 motherboards will detect it. I have been dealing with Maxtor techs for the last 2 weeks and will now have to involve MSI. Whats funny is that my Epox and Gigabyte nForce4 boards detect it fine.

4. If you plan to use this drive with a SATA 150 controller (eg, older VIA or nForce3), there is another post I just submitted about how to jumper these drives to force them into SATA 150 mode if needed.

Good luck. The drive is decent for the price/performance. Maxtor needs to do a better job of testing these things with the various SATA controllers out there.

I have the SB300S0 on my MSI Nforce 3 motherboard and it's great. Have moved it to data disk usage now, but am missing it as the 160Gb Diamondmax9 that I am using as system disk now seams VERY slow.
Just beware that this is the first sign of internal drive problems, probably impending firmware corruption issues. I've seen this symptom before on these DM9s a lot.. Some I've encountered is even worse, the whole system became laggy till the point when double clicking on a folder, its takes almost forever to open (AND its wasn't caused by any malware issues and/or filesystem problems, it was the drive itself!). :rolleyes:

Recommend that you backup any important data on that 160GB often. ;)

Interesting write-up on the new Maxtor MaxLine III 7V300F0. It was done comparing Seagate 7200.8 8/16MB cache drives

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/rev...cles/seagate16/

reviewer's benchmarks show nearly 70MB/s max read speed ( ~11MB/s quicker than the ST3300631AS)

I hope Maxtor has finally fixed the nforce4 issues, without killing the performance of this drive. BTW its $125 on NewEgg today (2-17-2006) - tempted to push the buy button now.

:)

As I recall the incompatibility problems were the fault of nVidia, not Maxtor. The reason Maxtor took so long to "fix" the problems was because nVidia's controllers were not operating according to SATA spec.

As I recall the incompatibility problems were the fault of nVidia, not Maxtor. The reason Maxtor took so long to "fix" the problems was because nVidia's controllers were not operating according to SATA spec.

I found this on the web :

Maxtor has released a firmware update for the affected hard drives:

Quoting Maxtor @ "http://maxtor.custhelp.com/" ;

Maxtor SATA II Drives and nVidia nForce4 Compatibility Question

The following issues have been identified with Maxtor SATA II drives and the nVidia nForce4 controller.

# No detection

# Anomalous behavior such as data corruption

Answer

Note: This solution is only to be applied to the listed products and only when used with the nForce4 chipset. If you are unsure as to which chipset you have, contact your motherboard manufacturer or visit your motherboard manufacturer's website for clarification.

The drives affected are those with model numbers starting with:

# 6V- (DiamondMax 10)

# 6H- (DiamondMax 11)

# 7V- (Maxline III)

# 7H- (MaxLine Pro 500)

A firmware upgrade to resolve these issues for Maxtor SATA II drives is available by contacting Maxtor Support. Please have the drive serial number and the Code number available, which will be listed on the top label of the drive itself.

"only when used with the nForce4 chipset"

The firmware upgrade is a workaround for nVidia's bug. If the problem was due to Maxtor there would be compatibility problems with other interface controllers.

"only when used with the nForce4 chipset"

The firmware upgrade is a workaround for nVidia's bug. If the problem was due to Maxtor there would be compatibility problems with other interface controllers.

You are correct - and you already said so.

My post is just more specific and informative, it's by no means a comment on yours.