Sign in to follow this  
mike m2x

MaxlineIII 7V250F0 on SataI possible?

Hello,

I have a Maxline 7V250F0 and i want to connect it under SataI. (My motherboard is still good and dont want to change at the Moment) I dont know how to say in English but new Standards are always compatible to older ones. I mean You can always connect USB 2.0 to USB 1.1 or 1.0.

My Question: Can i connect this HDD to SataI and do i need to make any Jumper Settings?

I questioned also Maxtor but they dont gave any Answer till now.

SORRY for my English if it isnt right... Think i need more Exercise :(

My Configuration:

PIV Prescott

GB 8IPE1000G Pro

512MB DDR 400Mhz

Maxtor 6Y080M0 80Gb

Thanks 4 Your Answers and greetings from Germany

mike

No SATA drive needs any jumpers setting, any jumpers on the drive are set at the factory and don't need changing by the user. SATA drives that support 300 MB/s interface transfer rates will automatically drop the interface speed to 150 MB/s if the controller doesn't support 300 MB/s.

Numerous manufacturers STILL include jumpers on drives marketed as supporting SATA 150 and 300. Some but not all.

For instance,

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr..._0000180403.htm

So for those that think ALL SATA 300 drives are just plug and play backwards to SATA 150, do more research before you speak. Some combinations of older SATA 150 chipsets (eg, NF3 and VIA) and/or drives have issues in handshaking and detection.

I have several Samsung and Maxtor SATA 300 drives that I had to jumper in order for certain SATA 150 motherboard chipsets to detect these drives properly.

The Maxtor 7L300F0 and 6L250F0 drives have a set of jumpers next to the SATA plug that is undocumented and Maxtor unofficially denies that these are usable. However, if you jumper the left 2 most pins, that will force the drive into SATA 150 mode if you need it.

There are jumpers to enable or disable SSC as well as power management and probably staggered spin-up. Not all controllers are yet SATA II 2.5 (or whatever they want to call their current standard, everyone's seems different for now) and which features they support or default to.

I hadn't realised that some SATA 150 MB/s controllers couldn't communicate proberly with SATA 300 MB/s drives. It would make sense to be able to toggle interface speed with a jumper, in that case. I don't see why the other settings can't be set in firmware using software.

SATA II was (and is) a marketing term used by drive manufacturers implementing the 300 MB/s interface. SATA 2.5 is an official specification that can only be met by supporting all the exstensionsw to SATA.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but what's SSC?

Numerous manufacturers STILL include jumpers on drives marketed as supporting SATA 150 and 300. Some but not all.
Wow. We've *never* had to do any jumpering here on any of our production... and we go through six-digits worth of drives a year...

I just checked, you're right, but we haven't ever had to use it yet...