Sign in to follow this  
Guin33

Should I RAID?

Hi all,

Right now I have a Cheetah 15k SCSI on an adaptec 39160 in my gaming machine. My mobo is a Abit AV8 so my drive is running at U160 not 320. I've just come across 2 Maxtor 7200 SATA drives. Should I leave the SCSI in or do you think I would get better performance with the SATA's in RAID 0? Performance is the only thing I am concerned with.

Thanks!

I don't think you'd get better overall performance with two 7200s in RAID 0 than a Cheetah 15K. (15K.3 or 15K.4?)

However, a single Raptor 150GB might give you a slight advantage, for a slightly higher price. Check the performance database for the best gaming performers, but remember that RAM, graphics card and CPU have more effect on frame rates than the hard disk - you'll only notice the impact on load times. And more RAM will help those anyway.

Thanks Spod.

It's a 15k.4

I'm gonna try both setups and do some testing. What do you all use for HD benchmarking? SANDRA?

Thx

Abit-AV8

A64 3200

2GB Corsair XMS

Leadtek 6800 Ultra

"I'm gonna try both setups and do some testing. What do you all use for HD benchmarking?"

Ok fine suit yourself, but all raid 0 will do is give you little or no performance boost in your situation, as a matter of fact it may be slower then a single drive, all it will do for sure is put your data in severe danger of failure without any warning, raid 0 is not for gaming or gaming rigs, its a horrible idea for a boot drive, unless raid 0+1 or raid 5/10 is involved but don’t do these either, raid 0 has specific applications and one is not a hobby for a novice who wants 'da baddist azz gaming rig on der block.'

Go with a modern single hard drive and you will be much happier in the long run, I could go on for hours why this is a better choice but if you want to test for yourself, because it sounds like you had your mind made up before you posted here, try HDTach : http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index...?request=HdTach : and/or ATTO Benchmark : http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=108 : see for yourself.

Ah your mobo : http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/produc...ies=1&model=175 : Sorry this is way easier then I thought, the drives in raid 0 will offer little to no performance increase but it will probably raise your seek times and because you have a 15k drive right now I figure this is important to you, eh, no (RJ hat). Also you have that SCSI controller in a 32-bit pci slot and even worse that pci slot is connected to a via chipset, no only is your controller limited to 100 mb/sec guaranteed it may be limited to much less due to the via chipset, many of these will not break the 80 mb/sec barrier and other things on your motherboard like sound network modem hard drive controllers etc. are also fighting for the bandwidth, so in my opinion yes you will be much faster with a single sata drive (or dual non raid) (or as many as you want) connected directly to your onboard controller as long as it is not one that is routed through the pci bus, which is not likely a problem. Adding more drives raid or otherwise to the scsi controller will definitely slow things to a crawl, bandwidth would be such in demand your sound may begin clipping.

Anyway good luck with the testing.

Found this thread for you, called search, anyway some more opinions, you wont get much response about game rig raid 0 here because so many of the seasoned members are just darn so plain sick of them, and no one knows how to use search. :P

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=21118&hl

"Well we can never seem to get enough raid 0 questions on this board, please do a search for all the raid 0 threads that disprove all those gamer dunce tests. Raid 0 does not offer any performance increase in your application, it will only perhaps hinder performance and will put your valuable saved games at risk of data loss, raid 0 is very bad in the hands of amateurs that have been terribly misinformed and told it makes your computer a "hot rod" sweet azz gaming box, say no to raid 0, get a sweet video card if you need a badge of "big nutz."

"Snort snort, man my wicked gaming boxx is the fastzz azz ever, I have a gross of 15k147's in raid 0 coming across my 32-bit PCI bus, snort snort, it plays WOW supa fast, my oced water-cooled 9800 XT smokes dual sli 7800 GTX's, snort snort."

Good Luck.

Guest Eugene
I could go on for hours why this is a better choice but if you want to test for yourself, because it sounds like you had your mind made up before you posted here, try HDTach : http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index...?request=HdTach : and/or ATTO Benchmark : http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=108 : see for yourself.

While I of course agree with the general ideas of your post, telling someone to download and run transfer rate benchmarks to let a reader "see for himself" how useless RAID0 is in most cases is not going to prove your point.

In recent tests by Eugene in the Raptor 150 Article Feedback thread, one 150 GB Raptor outperformed two, and even four 74 GB Raptors in RAID 0 in real life office, content creation and gaming tests. Given that the 74 GB Raptor is faster than any 7200 RPM drive (except in some tests the Hitachi 7K500), it's safe to say that the advantage of a 150 GB Raptor over any two 7200 RPM drives in RAID 0 will be decisive.

Hopefully that will save you going to the trouble of testing for yourself. Just skip the RAID 0 experimentation and put the money towards one faster drive.

If you've already bought two drives, try running them independently, with the OS and appss on one drive, and the games and your data on the other. That will be faster than shackling them together in RAID 0, though still slower than a single Raptor 150.

Still, if you can't budget for a Raptor 150 and want other suggestions, let us know. There's always the new single platter 74 GB Raptor, after all. And quite a few other high scorers in the performance database.

Regarding Sandra, while it seems to be a good memory benchmark, and not bad for some low level CPU tests, it has proved horribly inconsistent and generally misleading for hard disk tests. HDTach is well received as a low level benchmarking tool, but I would advise you to actually test in the apps you use most, just to see what feels faster. If you can't tell the difference, then who cares if it benchmarks slightly differently? I trust Eugene to do my drive benchmarking for me. ;)

For those of you that aren't a tool (and you know who you are) thank you for your responses.

This novice is going back to the datacenter now...lol

Edited by Guin33

You ask about RAID 0 here? I say that's flamebait. I vote for BAN ;)

Don't listen to these no-raid-0-goonies. Try it, you will like it. And post your question at a forum where users have experience with raid 0.

There are only 3 reasons I can think of your average person would want to RAID, they are (in order of importance)

1) they are referring to their fridge

2) they are referring to mirroring HD's for the extra safety

3) they are bored and want to try it out

I noticed no real difference going from 2 36GB raptors, raided to a single T7K250. That said I have just bought a raptor 150GB as my T7K250 got corrupted (the day before its backup was due too :( ) and I never had probs with my old raptors! luck of the draw, but i'm not so trusting of it now.

Nox

Lets be fair, there are situations where RAID 0 really does help. Most of the time, you're better off taking your two disks and running them separately, because splitting concurrently accessed datasets across independent drives nets a bigger gain than using RAID 0. But yes, if you compare RAID 0 to a single drive, especially in benchmarks that measure STR rather than application level performance, you will see better numbers from the RAID 0 array.

RAID 0 is good for media editing, photoshop scratch disks*, and STR benchmarks. But for typical office and gaming tasks, you're better off buying one drive that's twice as expensive, like a 7K500 or Raptor.

*Photoshop scratch disks really like being on their own drive, so don't RAID 0 unless you've already got other drives for everything else you use during photoshop sessions. Especially don't put scratch on the same disk/array as the pagefile if you can avoid it.