RLBUHT

File server processor

Hi Everyone

I am almost finished putting together my 2TB server (8 250GB drives) but i was just wondering what you thought of putting an AMD Athlon 64 3200+.

Most of the time, it will only be me using the server.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

If you are using the machine as gaming rig and server roles too, that CPU would be worth the money it costs and the power it consumes.

If the machine is just a file server with nothing else to do... i am using a 733 Mhz PIII machine for instance, with 512 MB memory as fileserver with > 4TB of diskspace and it functions perfectly and consumes not much power.

If you want a new CPU/mobo etc i would buy the cheapest CPU around and underclock it to 1 Ghz.

That makes for a cheap CPU, low power consumption, which results in a CPU that needs less cooling and thus makes less noise. Memory : think 10 Watt per memory bank so if the machine is to run 24/7 do not fit more than necessary.

PSU : choose an efficient one like the Antec Phantom 500, they go over 86% so it'll use the power needed best and save you money.

Edited by reefer

If you want a new CPU/mobo etc i would buy the cheapest CPU around and underclock it to 1 Ghz

Or just use Cool N Quiet? (amd) :rolleyes:

Edited by Poodle

And the Phantom doesn't do 86% more like 82. (spcr got it wrong) I own one and I like it, but Seasonic and Fortron source makes psus with just as good or BETTER efficieny.

If you want a new CPU/mobo etc i would buy the cheapest CPU around and underclock it to 1 Ghz

Or just use Cool N Quiet? (amd) :rolleyes:

yes, if that cheap CPU supports it - and not all AMD CPU's do.

If that cheap CPU happens to be Intel based, you're left to Speedstep - if it supports it.

Cool N Quiet delivers performance on demand - so it could use the max. power it can, if needed.

An underclocked system will use less power at the expense of speed.

And speed is not that important for a fileserver.

For me, running fileservers 24/7, power consumption is important....

cool

Funny reply that ;)

Yeah, any PIII will do. Add enough RAM and it will run any 32-bit Windows OS perfectly fine. Enough is like 512 MB for W2K/W2K3. Even 256 MB could do the job.

Well i've ordered the memory and CPU as they were both on offer, i've ordered an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and 1gig of PC3200 RAM. I understand this is overkill for just a file server, but will it still be overkill to run MS SQL Server 2005 off it?

Well i've ordered the memory and CPU as they were both on offer, i've ordered an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and 1gig of PC3200 RAM. I understand this is overkill for just a file server, but will it still be overkill to run MS SQL Server 2005 off it?

yep.

You bought nice stuff though - give the beast something to do ;-)

It doesn't really need to be quiet, as it's going in a spare bedroom. But i don't want it using loads of electricity, my bill is bad enough without this machine.

Very cool running, very low power consumption processors, designed for mobile applications but make great low power cool servers to. :)

Geode.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...ns_Brochure.pdf

Transmeta.

http://www.transmeta.com/efficeon/specs.html

http://www.transmeta.com/crusoe/specs.html

Via.

http://www.viatech.com/en/products/processors/

Good Luck. :)

Well then, a mobile processor or Via, Geode, or Transmeta could be worth a look. :)

I agree. I have a couple of file servers using Pentium M Dothan chips using Intel's 855 and 915 chipsets. The fileservers with one hard drive will idle at about 35-38 watts at the wall using Kill-a-watt meter. One of them has about 10 hard drives and when completely spun down, idles around 45-50w.

Same hard drives and ram in an Gateway Celeron 2.8ghz machine idled at 90w with drives spun down 100w.

I think a know a low cost, highly efficient and rock solid PSU with your name on it:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article280-page1.html

I don't think you can do better/$

Some more expensive Fortrons have even better efficency like the epsilon and the zen.

Check out the review-forum thread. It seems that there is a 300W for around 50$ and you probably wouldn't need 400w. I'm not sure if it's as efficient as the 400w though but it should be.

If I was to buy something more expensive than the 400w I would go for a Seasonic.

Edited by Poodle