Sign in to follow this  
sram

Now that I have a wireless network

Hi, I now have this USR 9108 wireless gateway(Router + USB print server + Adsl Modem) and I made a wireless network between my pc and laptop. What things should I do/consider for security?

I don't want anybody to share my wifi signal( I know that some can see me because I see them!, I live in a 20 story building), and don't want anybody to see my files of course. How can I assure all this?

Hi, I now have this USR 9108 wireless gateway(Router + USB print server + Adsl Modem) and I made a wireless network between my pc and laptop. What things should I do/consider for security?

I don't want anybody to share my wifi signal( I know that some can see me because I see them!, I live in a 20 story building), and don't want anybody to see my files of course. How can I assure all this?

Not to sound like a brushoff but Did you not get a manual?

Spinme

Not to sound like a brushoff but Did you not get a manual?

Spinme

manual for what? I only have one for the wireless router, which explains about connecting/configuring the router, that's all

But I know there must be one on usr website, i'm just lazy to look and wanted a quick overall answer regarding wireless networking in general

There are basically two types of security one can employ on a wireless connection: WEP or WPA.

WEP is the older one and the eaier one to break. To break this people simply have to be within range of your wireless router with enough time on their hands. It comes in 40bit, 64bit , 96bit and 128bit key lengths I think. I use this one at the 128bit level. It protects you from casual browsers onto your network but not from determined crackers.

WPA is the newer one and requires support from the OS, so you need XP or better for this. And even then I'm not sure if you have to buy something else to use it. Support for this in routers was not so good when I got mine a year ago or so. Maybe its better now. I'm sure this can be cracked too but not nearly as quickly as WEP.

More info here at netgear's site, which is the router brand I use and recommend.