joejensen

Best drive configuration for new editing computer

I am building a new PC to edit HDV (High Def Video) files, and to edit large RAW and JPEG images with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Nikon Capture SW. System noise and performance are my primary concerns. I'd like to balance them. I'd ideally like to build a system with only case fans. I'm considering the new silverstone SST-TJ07 case with split cooling zones and large slow case fans. Here is a link http://sundialmicro.com/silverstone_comput...b_1704_622.html

As to the drives question. From what I've read on the WEB, I would acheive the best system performance with 3 separate drives. One for the OS, one for a dedicated scratch file drive, and one for data. Others have told me to do a RAID with 4 drives. From what I've read here, it looks like that might not improve performance as the applicatiosn I use would potentially need to access the application, scratch file, and storage all at the same time.

I see two clear options;

1) High performance, high heat and noise, (not sure how much) this would be two raptor drives, one for the OS and apps, and one for the scratch file. I'd add a 500GH HItachi for the data. I saw the 36GB Raptors for $89 somewhere online. That's enough for the scratch file. Would that be enough for the OS and apps?

2) RAID (5?) - one user suggested 4 160+ GB drives in a RAID5 configuration. He said someone made 160GB single platter drives that were quiet and low heat, and in a RAD5 configuration performance should exceed the Raptors.

Any other considerations or ideas? I am planning a modest graphics card as I do no 3D or gaming, but the CPU will be 100-130W. How much power supply capacity do I need for each drive, do I just go by the startup power, or do I need to add margin?

thanks...joe

A bit of topic.

For video editing you should really use a Mac, since the best software for that is Final Cut pro.

You can TODAY make HD-DVDs in DVD studio pro. This is the same program that the most DVD companies use for making DVDs.

When you do videoediting, you need a lot off different disks. Disk for scratch, audio, video, autorendering and so on. If you want to use uncompressed video, you really need something like 6x500gig stipe set to work from.

So.

First.

Buy a powermac.

The four processor powermac is the fastest PC there is for videoediting.

Buy a PCI-E SATA card and hook on external SATA disks.

I have in my powermac 6 internal disks, 4 external SATA and 3 firewire.

The videografic card is not that importent in Windows, but if you have a mac, the whole windows system is 3D and accelerated in the card. At least a Nvidia 7800 should you have.

Also for HD:

You need a real display. I use the Apple Cinema HD. 2580x1600.

On the new powermac you can put in 4 dual link DVI grafic card and connect 8 of these.

(and yes. The Powersupply is 1000watt on the P-mac)

I have been working with videoedition since 1997.

I switched from PC to Mac 2002, when Apple got a "real" os.

You should consider it.

Sorry for shaky ABBA-enlish. Live in Sweden :)

Thanks for the MAC suggestion, but it's out of my budget. I am only doing home video editng, no pro work, and I already have Photoshop CS2.0 for Windows, and Adobe Premier Pro. I thought about buying a MAC, especially since the new Intel chip based ones will end up 3X or more faster and a Windows PC once the applications are optimized. But, the Apple editing SW you suggested is over $1K plus I would have to repurchase the Photoshop too.

Still need disk suggestions...joe