idolclub

Which SAS Raid Card is better?

There aren't too many of them out. HP P600, LSI Logic, and Adaptec are the only ones that I'm aware of that have been released. There's a broadcom one supposedly on it's way as well.

I have an Adaptec 4805SAS and at first it wasn't running too well, but it was running an old firmware, updated to the latest and it runs pretty fast. Just using an 8 Fujitsu MAU's in raid 10. I run my vmware sessions off the array as well oracle 9i and it seems quite fast. Have not had time to run any benches on it but now that it's loaded with apps, I probably won't have time to do so.

There aren't too many of them out. HP P600, LSI Logic, and Adaptec are the only ones that I'm aware of that have been released. There's a broadcom one supposedly on it's way as well.

I have an Adaptec 4805SAS and at first it wasn't running too well, but it was running an old firmware, updated to the latest and it runs pretty fast. Just using an 8 Fujitsu MAU's in raid 10. I run my vmware sessions off the array as well oracle 9i and it seems quite fast. Have not had time to run any benches on it but now that it's loaded with apps, I probably won't have time to do so.

shokunin,

What motherboard are you using? I was using a Asus A8N32-SLI with my 4805SAS, but could never get the system stable.

shokunin,

What motherboard are you using? I was using a Asus A8N32-SLI with my 4805SAS, but could never get the system stable.

Supermicro H8DCE it has dual everything (almost). Dual opteron, dual nForce chipsets so it has 2 full 16x PCI-e slots, and 2 8x PCI-e slots (4x lanes connected, 8x physical slot) and 3 good ol' PCI slots. Dual Lan, Dual NVRAID (from 2 chipsets) etc...

I have an Areca ARC-1260 in one 16x PCI-e slot, and the Adaptec card in an 8x slot. Boot takes forever initializing the raid controllers, especially the 4805, but after that the dual, dual-core opterons are blazin and aren't bottlenecked by storage :D.

Edited by shokunin

shokunin,

Supermicro H8DCE it has dual everything (almost). Dual opteron, dual nForce chipsets so it has 2 full 16x PCI-e slots, and 2 8x PCI-e slots (4x lanes connected, 8x physical slot) and 3 good ol' PCI slots. Dual Lan, Dual NVRAID (from 2 chipsets) etc...

I have an Areca ARC-1260 in one 16x PCI-e slot, and the Adaptec card in an 8x slot. Boot takes forever initializing the raid controllers, especially the 4805, but after that the dual, dual-core opterons are blazin and aren't bottlenecked by storage :D.

As I said, the ASUS board was never stable so I am going to a Tyan S2866. When not using SLI, it has a x16 (running at 16-lanes) and a second x16 (running at 8-lanes)...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Adaptec initialization process...takes mine about 3 minutes or so...

What are you using your server for?

I wonder why supermicro doesn't advertise their opteron boards on their main site?

I wonder why supermicro doesn't advertise their opteron boards on their main site?

sm link

it's an OEM board and thus not listed under the regular menu.

they are now releasing some new duals and quads with pci-e and pci-x.

it's an OEM board and thus not listed under the regular menu.

they are now releasing some new duals and quads with pci-e and pci-x.

Yeah, i ran across the opterons by using google, but they carefully hide any mention of Opteron on the main site.

I did notice a few pci-x boards with single opteron, too bad they cost as much as the dual opteron boards, as it's cheaper to go with a dual core opteron than a pair of single cores.

I'd like to hookup a 3ware 9550SX-8 via pci-x, but it's horribly expensive.