Cavicchi

Safe to delete Local Settings/Temp folder?

10 posts in this topic

I changed the Local Settings folder under my name so it's not hidden. Does anyone know if it's safe to delete the entries in the Documents and Settings/Local Settings/temp folder?

I changed the Local Settings folder under my name so it's not hidden. Does anyone know if it's safe to delete the entries in the Documents and Settings/Local Settings/temp folder?

It's my standard practice to delete the contents of that folder during system cleanup/tuneup, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes there will be stuff in there that can't be deleted cause it's currently in use.

It's my standard practice to delete the contents of that folder during system cleanup/tuneup, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes there will be stuff in there that can't be deleted cause it's currently in use.

Do you use a utilty for your cleanup/tuneup?

I forgot to ask one other question. Can I safely delete the entries in Windows/temp folder?

That would also be a yes, as long as something important hasn't been put in there by mistake. You may wish to transfer the files in that folder to a temp location, reboot and make sure nothing is wrong before deleting. Standard disclaimers apply.

-Evan

i use cleanup to be found here: http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Never had a problem with it. If there is a better option out there, I'm all for it. I used to manually dig thru my temp folders and delete stuff. Now i just do it every once in a while when I'm really bored...

Edited by elconejito

My first choice of tool is a keyboard.

The keyboard works for me as well. I have 2 folders C:/Temp and C:/Temp1.

I then alternate the directory for temp files in environmental variables between the 2 folders and delete all the files in whichever folder was not specified before the last reboot.

The deleted file are conveniently located in the recycle bin should problems arise.

Yes, I regularly delete my temp folders and re-create them (easier than highlighting all the files). But in order to be able to delete everything, you must be logged on as a different user. Otherwise, Windows will report that the files are in use.