Sign in to follow this  
The Belgain

5-in-3 SATA hotswap drive racks

Hi there,

I'm looking into getting some hotswap drive racks for my SATA drives. Supermicro do a 5-in-3 SATA hotswap drive rack (link) which seems quite nice. The thing I'm slightly concerned about is cooling: there's just a single 90mm fan blowing over the 5 drives, and the drives are very tightly packed (5x 3.5" drives vertically in 3x 5.25" bays). Has anyone got any experience with these Supermicro racks, and do the drives stay cool enough?

Also, regarding future SATA standards (eg. SATA2, and the next ones), do the drive racks limit you to a particular one, or do they just do electrical passthrough and nothing cleverer?

Does anyone know af any cheaper hotswap racks than this one (4-in-3 or 5-in-3)? The Supermicro seems to be almost $200, which is pretty steep...

Already assembled with 8 top quality SATA Hotswap Bays and cables. These bays each have an additional cooling fan and fully surround your drives in an aluminum tray with great heat transfer capabilities. Your drives are going to stay their coolest. 8-bay RACK $1079

I am using 2 Athena 3x2 SATA hot swap trays. 3 drives in 2 5.25 slots. THey also have a 4X3 model. I paid around $100 for the 3x2. I have been using 2 of them for about 9 months now. The drives stay very cool. I don't think you would have a problem with the 4x3 with cooling either. THey are aluminium so it helps with heat dissipation. I would consider buying them again. I am using them with 7 Seagate 7200.8 400Gb drives.

Edited by Bish

I'm using Supermicro's SATA and SCSI 5in3 hotswap enclosures and they work great. The 90mm cooling fan is more than enough, most drives just need some sort of airflow; you don't need to place them in a wind tunnel. Here in the states the SATA enclosure goes for about $115 USD and the SCSI ~ $150.

The SATA enclosure will support SATA2 drives but it doesn't necessairly support SATA2 features.

The Supermicro seems to be almost $200, which is pretty steep...

$200 seems about right. They're not quiet-- and I would be very careful about monitoring drive temps if you do switch out to a lower-flow fan--, but they do work fairly well.

The Supermicro seems to be almost $200, which is pretty steep...
$200 seems about right. They're not quiet-- and I would be very careful about monitoring drive temps if you do switch out to a lower-flow fan--, but they do work fairly well.

I have one of those. I swapped a lower speed Zalman fan to it and it has kept my three Seagate 7200.7´s adequately cooled even when doing heavy swapping/filetransfers etc. (Don´t have numbers, can check them out later when I get home).

It´s quietish but not silent, you mostly hear this woosh of air flowing past the drives and the drive vibrations are not damped/isolated at all. All in all I like it very much. The construction is top notch. Worth the 210€ I paid, hmm, not really but it does look cool :P