Sign in to follow this  
Mister_tad

Areca 1210 in the UK - Chenbro rebranded?

I'm replacing my highpoint controller with an areca 1210, the only place in the uk that seems to have it is Insight here http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresenta...RC1210&src=FRO1

I wasnt aware that Chenbro rebranded Areca controllers... Im just double checking that I'm going to be ordering is actually no different than an Areca 1210, I can't see anything wrong with that one anyway (other than it being 30% more than from the states <_< )

Alternatively, anyone know anywhere else that can ship to the UK (or is located in the UK for that matter) that is a bit cheaper. I could order one from newegg and have my parents in the states send it over for a vast amount cheaper, but I'd rather not get nailed for customs

www.webconnexxion.com is probably your best bet...

I've seen that before and was considering it, but I'm a bit apprehensive, ive been charged around £70 duty on a £300 item before

Im not especially familiar with import duties from the EU to the UK though...

Edited by Mister_tad

Mister

Well I shortlisted the Areca this time last year and had a hell of a time sourceing in the UK - didn;t really want it shipped from abroad in case of problems (PCI Express was not exactly a sure thing then! Well not in a slot 'described' for a graphics card anyway.)

Scan (www.scan.co.uk) stocked other Areca cards but not the PCI Express versions - not sure what they have now.

I approached TMC Technology (http://www.tmc-uk.com) who seemed to stock many other RAID controllers but did not stock the Areca - but they did import one with there other stock - was cheaper than WebConnexion by quite a bit too. Worked fine and has been working flawlessly since - I wish the software was better with respect to remote admin/reporting though.

Hope its of help.

GC

I'm replacing my highpoint controller with an areca 1210, the only place in the uk that seems to have it is Insight here http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresenta...RC1210&src=FRO1

Alternatively, anyone know anywhere else that can ship to the UK (or is located in the UK for that matter) that is a bit cheaper. I could order one from newegg and have my parents in the states send it over for a vast amount cheaper, but I'd rather not get nailed for customs

Mister

Well I shortlisted the Areca this time last year and had a hell of a time sourceing in the UK - didn;t really want it shipped from abroad in case of problems (PCI Express was not exactly a sure thing then! Well not in a slot 'described' for a graphics card anyway.)

Scan (www.scan.co.uk) stocked other Areca cards but not the PCI Express versions - not sure what they have now.

I approached TMC Technology (http://www.tmc-uk.com) who seemed to stock many other RAID controllers but did not stock the Areca - but they did import one with there other stock - was cheaper than WebConnexion by quite a bit too. Worked fine and has been working flawlessly since - I wish the software was better with respect to remote admin/reporting though.

Hope its of help.

GC

Wow, thaks a bunch for that, I've sent them an enquiry - fingers crossed...

Scan have the 1220, but I'm not quite ready to spend £500 on a controller and I'm unlikely to use more that 4 ports in the forseeable future anyway.

Mister

That was going to be my next question - ie. if your forking out for Areca kit maybe its worth paying the extra £80-£100 on 1220 and get four more ports and maybe a longer life - it may be really useful for raid migration/expansion - hell just hang the odd extra SATA drive off it as required......Alot more possibilities IMHO - but obviously depends on the cash!

As for TMC - as I remember I had to bully them just a bit - they may respond better to a phone call. Let me know how you get on, if necessary i'll dig out details of the person i delt with.

Since my message last night, I have also looked at the latest software updates on the Areca website, and can now report that thier monitoring software now works as a service, and sends email event notifications - at last!

GC

Mister

Hope its of help.

GC

Wow, thaks a bunch for that, I've sent them an enquiry - fingers crossed...

Scan have the 1220, but I'm not quite ready to spend £500 on a controller and I'm unlikely to use more that 4 ports in the forseeable future anyway.

Mister

That was going to be my next question - ie. if your forking out for Areca kit maybe its worth paying the extra £80-£100 on 1220 and get four more ports and maybe a longer life - it may be really useful for raid migration/expansion - hell just hang the odd extra SATA drive off it as required......Alot more possibilities IMHO - but obviously depends on the cash!

As for TMC - as I remember I had to bully them just a bit - they may respond better to a phone call. Let me know how you get on, if necessary i'll dig out details of the person i delt with.

Since my message last night, I have also looked at the latest software updates on the Areca website, and can now report that thier monitoring software now works as a service, and sends email event notifications - at last!

If it was £80-100 more then I would go for the 1220 for the added flexibility, just in case. But unless im missing something its a case of £300 vs £500. (I hope im missing something)

Well I just checked my invoices - I paid £430 for an original Areca 1220 (not tekram or any other badged card) this time last year if thats any help.....

GC

If it was £80-100 more then I would go for the 1220 for the added flexibility, just in case. But unless im missing something its a case of £300 vs £500. (I hope im missing something)

Well I just checked my invoices - I paid £430 for an original Areca 1220 (not tekram or any other badged card) this time last year if thats any help.....

GC

I guess I'll have to start looking harder.

I've found a few places that look like they may be able to get hold of something like the 1210 or 1220, just a matter of pestering them until I get somewhere :)

GC

After giving it a bit more thought, I guess I'll go for the 1220, I'd hate to get the 1210 and one year down the line wish I had got the 1220. Check your PMs :)

Edited by Mister_tad