SCHNLR

New 150GB Raptor Versus...

So, the new Raptor has the following specs...

150GB

10K RPM

16MB Cache

SATA I or II???

$300 or $2/GB

Performance wise, what 7200RPM/16MB drive even comes close?

The drive is available today from WD's own store. Anyone know when Newegg/ZZF will have it?

So, the new Raptor has the following specs...

150GB

10K RPM

16MB Cache

SATA I or II???

$300 or $2/GB

Performance wise, what 7200RPM/16MB drive even comes close?

The drive is available today from WD's own store. Anyone know when Newegg/ZZF will have it?

read the review on the front page to see how it compares to other drives

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2006...1500ADFD_1.html

and I can't find it on WD's online store

Guest 888

Yes, the WD's press release was already up there, it mentions Raptor's availability in their store and tech data on their website but both were in fact not updated. Now about a hour ago the new Raptor got listed in products section but store section is still not updated yet...

Yes, the WD's press release was already up there, it mentions Raptor's availability in their store and tech data on their website but both were in fact not updated. Now about a hour ago the new Raptor got listed in products section but store section is still not updated yet...

I must be blind but I still haven't found where it states whether the drive is SATA I or II!

I don't think any 7200RPM SATA drives come even remotely close to it in the seek time department. My 7200.9 has data rates of abut 75MB/s max and 40MB/s min which is pretty decent, though still not close. Only 8mb though.

I must be blind but I still haven't found where it states whether the drive is SATA I or II!

It is SATA 1.

I don't think any 7200RPM SATA drives come even remotely close to it in the seek time department. My 7200.9 has data rates of abut 75MB/s max and 40MB/s min which is pretty decent, though still not close. Only 8mb though.

It is SATA 1.

Makes sense... the next raptor WILL HAVE SATA II... and by that time 300GB's of storage capacity, but with perpendicular arrangement.

It is SATA 1.

Makes sense... the next raptor WILL HAVE SATA II... and by that time 300GB's of storage capacity, but with perpendicular arrangement.

Wouldn't doubt it. I want perpendicular to take over really fast. By end of 2006, I want most drives to have perpendicular :)

And a 1TB drive from Seagate and Hitachi.

Guest 888

Also, currently WD is offering wrong photos on their one and only WD1500 spec page. They are old 36GB Raptor's photos there with all texts on the label erased (cleared)!

The correct pictures of the new Raptor are in the SR's fresh review article here.

Still big mess there on WD's website: Differently designed menus on different pages, some weird going links, out-of-date shop section and still no information about many other new drive models already in retail shops. Although I found there's over 20 empty DriveID= webpage numbers just before new Raptor's DriveID=189 number. Hopefully it's a sign that something is to come there...

2 platters, 4 heads. And although it's SATA1, it still supports NCQ (and presumably various other optional extensions to SATA 1, like hotplugging).

Since SATA II only is a marketing term sometimes confused with being able to run 300MB/s it can be SATA II if WD wishes to label it as SATA II otherwise it's SATA capable of running 150MB/s

True. Until WD replace the 150 MB/s interface with a 300 MB/s equivalent, it won't qualify for the official SATA 2.5 spec, though.

Having said all this, I'm not actually sure whether the Raptor contains all of the other mandatory features of SATA 2.5, i.e. hotplug, latching connectiors, staggered spin up, etc. I'd expect so, but I haven't actually checked.

Do NOT use the term "SATA-2 drive"!

The new Raptor has some features of SATA-2. No drive has all features. All computer standards are like this.

Guest 888

In fact many retailers (shops) list the new Raptor still as "SATA-II 300MB/s" which in every sense is wrong and misleading to buyers now. There's no 300MB/s for this Raptor.

Interesting, from where this so widely distributed information error was originated? Were the WD's plans changed in last minute or was just some major wholesale distributor(s) made this error in their database(s)? I think probably the second one.

Guest Eugene
I think probably the second one.

Yep... It's always been planned as 1.5 GB/s, and perhaps could have even been inferred from the "7200 RPM Raptor" (WD4000) shipping with the 1.5 interface.

Wouldn't doubt it. I want perpendicular to take over really fast. By end of 2006, I want most drives to have perpendicular :)

And a 1TB drive from Seagate and Hitachi.

Why do you care if its perpendicular? Its just another technology to increase areal density. Do perpendicular drives smell better than longitudinal? :P

Guest 888

Pretty stylish site:

http://www.wdraptorx.com/

And a good idea they put it up, just separately from the general over-messed and hard-to-navigate WD's site!

But.. sad they installed it as a virtual server on the same physical server with wdc.com ..and now the both sites are suffering hard overloads from masses of visitors....some pages open in several minutes there, on both sites!

Anyway, there's also custom-rotatable 3D presentation of the drive and from there finally I got an answer for myself about where they sticked the drive label for Raptor X ;)

This drive is now an incredible $350 at WD's site. Cheapest price I've found for one so far is about $283 here and I don't know if that's free shipping or not. Note that the first drives shipped won't have the clear case! They will have a standard HD appearance and the clear ones are not supposed to ship till the end of winter. Will probably have another firmware version by then, and hopefully, MUCH CHEAPER!

-Clint

God Bless

hopefully, MUCH CHEAPER!

Don't bank on it. The Raptor 74gb has barely changed in price since it first came out. Being such a unique product and with world beating performance I reckon they will sell every 150 gb unit they can make even at the current high price.

The price at Zipzoomfly on the 74GB model has dropped from just over $300 when it debuted, to just $155 in over two years, and the last drop was from $175 just month or so before the 150GB model came out. I'd say that is quite a good price drop.

Does that mean the 150GB will be under $200 a year from now? maybe.