Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Maxtor DX740-6L problem?

Guest Anonymous

I recently purchases a 40gig Maxtor DX740-6L after my IBM 60GXP 60gig died (seems like a lot of IBM hd's are dying these days). I am running Windows XP, and I notice that when I shut down, there is a "clunk" or a "click" noise before the drives starts to slowly stop spinning. Have any of you guys noticed this too?

Thanks.

Yes I hear the same thing when my MAxtor 740 60 gig shuts down as well. I think this is normal because my older 5400 rpm Maxtor made the same noise when shutting down too. Its the read/write head being retracted when the drive shuts down.

Guest Anonymous
Totally normal.  Maxtor use a magnet to hold the drive's head mech when it's powered down.

Thanks for the reassuring replies. I posted on another bulletin board, and this guy was telling me that my Maxtor is about to die and stuff, and I was really afraid since I already have a IBM 60GXP 60gig die on me (I'm in the process of sending it in to IBM).

yes it is reassuring. having recenlty swapped my Barra IV's for some Maxtors 740's, i too was worried about the noise.

-------------

Windows XP Pro, 1600+ Athlon XP, MSI K7T266 Pro2-RAID USB2, 1 x 512Mb CAS2 DDRAM, 2 x 40Gb MAxtor 740's, 2 x 20Gb IBM 34GXP in RAID1, LG 52x CDROM, LG 24x10x40 CDRW, Asus V7700 32Mb DDRSGRAM AGP GF2 GTS Deluxe, SiS 6326 16Mb SDRAM PCI, Hercules Game Theatre XP, Intel 10/100 NIC, Mustek 1200CU USB Scanner, 1 x 17" HP Ultra XGA monitor, 1 x 14" HP Ultra VGA monitor.

Well before i answer do you people have an PCI Card or are you using the Internal ATA Controler?

Guest Anonymous
Well before i answer do you people have an PCI Card or are you using the Internal ATA Controler?

I am using an internal ata-100 controller. It's by Promise, which I don't like very much because sometimes it won't detect my hard drive until 15 seconds later, when usually it takes only like 3 seconds for it to see it.

Guest Anonymous
yes it is reassuring. having recenlty swapped my Barra IV's for some Maxtors 740's, i too was worried about the noise.

-------------

Windows XP Pro, 1600+ Athlon XP, MSI K7T266 Pro2-RAID USB2, 1 x 512Mb CAS2 DDRAM, 2 x 40Gb MAxtor 740's, 2 x 20Gb IBM 34GXP in RAID1, LG 52x CDROM, LG 24x10x40 CDRW, Asus V7700 32Mb DDRSGRAM AGP GF2 GTS Deluxe, SiS 6326 16Mb SDRAM PCI,  Hercules Game Theatre XP, Intel 10/100 NIC, Mustek 1200CU USB Scanner, 1 x 17" HP Ultra XGA monitor, 1 x 14" HP Ultra VGA monitor.

Hey Jake, I need to buy another harddrive, a quieter one, and I was considering the Barracuda IV's. What problem did you have with them?

I am using an internal ata-100 controller. It's by Promise, which I don't like very much because sometimes it won't detect my hard drive until 15 seconds later, when usually it takes only like 3 seconds for it to see it.

I also get this LOUD CLICK Sound when the HDD ShutsDown, but the first days when i got it that was 2 weeks ago, i was using it on the internal Ultra66 Controller, the CLICK was loud, then when i got my PROMISE TX2 Ultra133 PCI CARD, the CLICK is super loud :? , my quess is that the HDD does not completily ShutDown under the card, because if you unplug the Power Cord you will hear a really LOUD CLICK sound 8O , but when i use the internal ATA it is not as loud, this could be that Windows98 really is not supporting the CARD even with the drivers, it takes a while for it to Suspend, but with XP or 2K i don't have this problem it takes advantage of the PCI Card and shut's Down properly.

james is correct. at some stage in the future i do plan to RAID0 my two main drives. the barra's were terrific standalone drives but in RAID0 not so i swappped 'em :)