KingGremlin

150GB Raptor appears on the horizon

I know this has been mentioned in that other Raptor thread, but since it is buried on page 5 which most people will probably never get to, I figured it should get a new thread now that it appears a real product with specs has surfaced.

Western Digital Raptor WD1500AD

Nothing to be found on WD's site yet, so public availability may still be a long way off, but at least it appears the sequel is finally a reality.

I'm a little confused as to what benefit an average power user with a high-end PC would get from what is effectively just doubling the capacity and doubling the cache in real terms compared to 2 single 74GB Raptors, i.e. why is ONE 150GB better than TWO 74GB Raptors in a non-RAID environment?

The short answer - it probably isn't. However, one 150 GB drive will cost less than two 74 GB drives, will take up less space, probably be quieter than two drives and will have the benefits of a newer design. STR will probably be a lot faster if it's still a two platter design, and seek time may have been improved slightly. Firmware will definitely have been tweaked, too.

This will be especially useful for people who need more capacity than the 74 GB Raptors allow them to fit into their case, such as SFF cases or large arrays.

I still think that a two drive system with intelligently separated datasets would perform better in some tasks, but there's nothing (except budget) stopping you from doing the same with two of the newer, faster Raptors.

Edited by Spod