mark tc

Drive in Maxtor External Personal Storage 3100. USB.

Here is my main question:

Can you take the drive out of an external Maxtor Personal Storage 3100, and then put the drive into a generic enclosure? Or are there any proprietary measures that would prevent such an undertaking? I don't actually have the drive in my possession right now, or I would investigate.

If you're interested in helping me diagnose the actual problem with the 3100, read on:

I'm working on a defunct Home PC for a friend. Wanted to transfer his main drive data to his external--a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 USB 80gb. When I hooked up his external to my computer (XP) I got a message: "USB device not recognized". Which is basically to say that it did recognize that it was there (device listed in device manager), but that the drive wasn't funcitonal. I went to the Maxtor site and found some rather wierd troubleshooting info: "do you have the drive plugged into a power strip? If so, try plugging straight into the wall outlet?" Well I did so, and then my computer immediately recognized it. I was then able to copy the data from his main drive (removed from his PC and then jacked to mine) onto this maxtor. Well, he picked up the maxtor drive today and when he gets home he calls me to tell me that his computer won't recognize the drive. Exact same bubble message I got. He proceeds to tell me that he's never had the problem before. I tell him about the weird maxtor troubleshooting advice, he follows it, but it doesn't work for him. He is unable to get the computer to recognize the drive. We are both on XP. I am confident this in not a driver issue. Anybody else out there have such a problem? I'm thinking that the enclosure itself has become faulty. I do not think it is the actual drive. Hence the first question: Can it be removed and installed in a generic enclosure?

Thanks

Mark

Can you take the drive out of an external Maxtor Personal Storage 3100, and then put the drive into a generic enclosure?

Yep. no problem, Google around, lots of people have done so.

You will forfeit the warranty on the 3100 - but my guess is you will still keep the warranty Maxtor gives on the drive. Something to look into.

The 3100 is an USB2 device. Are the USB ports on the computer also USB2 ? I have seen numerous problems like this - with USB harddisks that are bus-powered.

If the drive spins up ok you usually have no problem.

But start using another USB device like a scanner, printer, bus-powered USB hub etc and the disk will not get enough power from the bus and it will fail, completely or intermittently.

That is the background to the Maxtor advise to plug it into a wall outlet - it will function better.

There is a Maxtor diagnostic tool for the 3100 - may be worth it to try it.

Edited by reefer

Sometimes there are problems with USB interface such as "USB device not recognized" or "HI-Speed USB device plugged into low speed USB...", blah.. blah... Usually the problem always lies with the power supply of the external enclosure. Another foreseeable problem is the cable itself, and also the USB controller (happens often if its non-Intel ones, and/or older USB 1.x controllers). :ph34r:

Try plugging the drive into the PC first, and then switch it on for a while. Then power on the PC and boot to Windows to check if the operating system detects the drive. ;)

Edited by lexwalker

Which is basically to say that it did recognize that it was there (device listed in device manager), but that the drive wasn't funcitonal. I went to the Maxtor site and found some rather wierd troubleshooting info: "do you have the drive plugged into a power strip? If so, try plugging straight into the wall outlet?" Well I did so, and then my computer immediately recognized it. Thanks

Mark

indeed very strange. power strip and wall outlet? is there a difference? could it be maxtor external enclosure power adapter have known problems and they not doing a product recall.

indeed very strange. power strip and wall outlet? is there a difference? could it be maxtor external enclosure power adapter have known problems and they not doing a product recall.

I assume power strip means as much as USb bus.

The wall outlet vs usb bus .... the wall outlet will supply the external disk with enough power. Period.

The USB bus may or may not do so. That depends on the number of attached USB devices, and the USB version ( 1.x or 2.x ), and even the individual manufacturer of the usb bus since they do not all conform to the standard.

I guess it is clear to see why any manufacturer of devices that depend on enough power from this undependable powersource called USB bus would put the 'wall outlet' on top of any troubleshooting list.

Not enough power to the external harddisk usually results in a PCB (this piece of electronics does not need much power) that answers to plug-and-play it is there ( 'new device found' , and even manufacturer and model etc ) but will not function because the drive does not receive enough power to start spinning.

Quite logical behaviour imho.

Too bad about the rotten USB implementation and manufacturers that do not conform to standards ... causing problems and confusement for us.

Can you take the drive out of an external Maxtor Personal Storage 3100, and then put the drive into a generic enclosure? Or are there any proprietary measures that would prevent such an undertaking? I don't actually have the drive in my possession right now, or I would investigate.

If you're interested in helping me diagnose the actual problem with the 3100, read on:

I'm working on a defunct Home PC for a friend. Wanted to transfer his main drive data to his external--a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 USB 80gb. When I hooked up his external to my computer (XP) I got a message: "USB device not recognized". Which is basically to say that it did recognize that it was there (device listed in device manager), but that the drive wasn't funcitonal. I went to the Maxtor site and found some rather wierd troubleshooting info: "do you have the drive plugged into a power strip? If so, try plugging straight into the wall outlet?" Well I did so, and then my computer immediately recognized it. I was then able to copy the data from his main drive (removed from his PC and then jacked to mine) onto this maxtor. Well, he picked up the maxtor drive today and when he gets home he calls me to tell me that his computer won't recognize the drive. Exact same bubble message I got. He proceeds to tell me that he's never had the problem before. I tell him about the weird maxtor troubleshooting advice, he follows it, but it doesn't work for him. He is unable to get the computer to recognize the drive. We are both on XP. I am confident this in not a driver issue. Anybody else out there have such a problem? I'm thinking that the enclosure itself has become faulty. I do not think it is the actual drive. Hence the first question: Can it be removed and installed in a generic enclosure?

Thanks

Mark

As I found out the hard way, after long EMails to Maxtor, the Personal Storage 3100 is a defective device that will not reproduceably be recognized by the Intel 82801 chip set. Look in Device Manager on your computer under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and my bet is that your computer uses this chipset. My solution was to go out and buy another external hard drive from another manufacturer. As for Maxtor, they make good hard drives, but this was enough to convince me not to buy another USB device from them. When I asked for a refund or replacement, the reply from Maxtor was "we cannot replace this drive since there is nothing wrong with it", except of course that it's useless for portable storage since you'll never know in advance whether the next computer you want to connect it to uses the 82801 chipset or not.

As I found out the hard way, after long EMails to Maxtor, the Personal Storage 3100 is a defective device that will not reproduceably be recognized by the Intel 82801 chip set

[...]

except of course that it's useless for portable storage since you'll never know in advance whether the next computer you want to connect it to uses the 82801 chipset or not.

OK, here my two cents of (unfortunately) very fresh experience.

I was fed up of running out of hard disk space and decided to give me a Christmas present

So I bought 2 Maxtor 3100 and just plugged them in, and yes, I have problems.

I will first give you my conclusion then describe the different tests I went through.

Have a Great 2006, despite the poor Maxtor quality !

Surge

CONCLUSION:

The USB Host Controller makes the difference.

Plus I tend to believe this has to do with USB power consumption.

TESTS:

1. using a laptop running XP with native two USB 2.0 ports & Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Host Controller

1a. SUCCESS: I plug in 1 Maxtor , no problem: it gets recognized and works at USB 2 speed

1b. FAILURE: I plug the second Maxtor: here we go, the pop up says

"USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it"

and my brand new Maxtor 3100 which worked fine as standalone now shows up as Unknown device under the USB Controller Root Hub

1c. FAILURE: I leave 1 Maxtor plugged in and try as second USB device my old Western Digital USB 2.0 disk (excellent product!), same as above

1d. FAILURE: I leave 1 Maxtor plugged in and try as second USB device my DVD/CD burner from Pacific Digital (excellent product!), same as above. Even worse sometime it does recognizes it but as CD drive only (shivering...)

2. SUCCESS: using the very same laptop with 4-port USB PCMCIA card (externally powered !!!) using a NEC PCI to USB Host Controller , everything works fine in all possible combinations !

3. SUCCESS: using another laptop running Windows 2000 with the same 4-port USB PCMCIA card everything works fine in all possible combinations !

Folks, FYI.

this is the maxtor customer support answer received on 02 Jan 2006:

"The issue would be due to computer does not provide enough voltage from the USB ports to power some USB devices. Therefore, it is recommended that use a powered USB hub to provide the USB devices with enough power will ensure USB devices operate correctly. "

so I understand there is a power compatibility issue between a Maxtor disk and my IBM laptop (not Lenovo yet), despite the fact all other USB devices work just fine .... mmmhhh ....

and what about you guys having the same problem, do you all use IBM laptops with native USB ports not "enough powered" ?

Surge

a friend of mine had this same issue. when i asked her what she did she (pointing to the HD) turned it on and plugged it in. right away.

so i turned it off. aited about 10 seconds. turned it on, waited untill all the lights settled down on the HD, then plugged in the USB.

It has worked fine ever since. I think that she plugged in the USB cable before the interface had a chance to "boot up" so windows got a response it didn't understand. Thats my theory anyway...

EDIT: She has a compaq laptop btw...

Edited by elconejito

so i turned it off. aited about 10 seconds. turned it on, waited untill all the lights settled down on the HD, then plugged in the USB.

It has worked fine ever since. I think that she plugged in the USB cable before the interface had a chance to "boot up" so windows got a response it didn't understand. Thats my theory anyway...

I think your friend got "lucky". I've tried every possible combination of turning off the Maxtor 3100, re-booting the computer, plugging in the USB. Occasionally, and unpredictably, the computer will recognize the Maxtor. But 95% of the time, even going through the same process as was successful last time, I get the "Unknown USB device" message.

I love the Maxtor customer support answer. The implication here is that if your USB ports work with every USB device on the market except the Maxtor 3100 (even, according to Maxtor, every other external hard drive they make), then the defect must be with your USB Controller. Couldn't possibly be the Maxtor product. I have three USB printers, a Comstar external USB-connected hard drive, two USB MP3 players, two USB flash memory keys, a USB bluetooth key, a USB HP scanner, and two USB memory card readers. Unlike the Maxtor product, they all work with any computer I own, and certainly don't seem to care what USB controller is on your motherboard.

I wish Maxtor would do the responsible corporate thing, admit they made a design boo-boo with the 3100, and offer to make it right with a refund, repair, or replacement.

glad im not the only one having the problem, I to have the 82801 intel chipset, and I kept getting Unknown Device, Device not recognized boxes, have been corrosponding with Maxtor, they told me some things to do, when they failed, the told me it was not the hard drive, it was the system, but from this board I now know that it IS the product, and I plan to take it back to the store of purchase and see if i can exchange it for a product that is compatible with my pc.

Just adding to the confirmation string.

I have a user w/a 3100 Maxtor External and a Dell Latitude D610 and he has the same problem with getting it to recognize the drive. He can hook it up to its predecessor (Dell Latitude D600) and every other PC on our account but not the D610. He has tried connecting to the hubs on the docking station for the D610 but that doesn't help either. I told him to go get a USB 2.0 drive cage and swap the drive into that.

He is running Windows XP SP1 w/no other USB peripherals except a keyboard and a mouse, and they are plugged into one of the docking station hubs. The D610 allows you to plug USB devices into it directly via the USB ports on the right side towards the back- even when the D610 is docked. In any event, even connecting ONLY the Maxtor 3100 here still yields the same result: Failure.

If someone wants to be a hero they can post a cage or entire external drive bundle that works w/the D610- or any other device w/the USB chipset in question.

The Great Maxtor Customer Support (GMCS) saga keeps going...

Read within quotes what GMCS says in subsequent answers to my mails.

Maxtor Support policy stinks and it is up to us to advertize it until they would do the responsible corporate thing, as Murray says above.

Surge

"For some USB device working properly on certain motherboard, it is suggested to use external powered USB adapter. You may refer the link below for more information. http://www.guidenet.net/resources/usb.html"

Please note the "some" and "certain" , do they care abouth adherence to USB standards ?

I went through the article GMCS suggests just to find out more details on my USB devices power consumption. Therefore my Matrox 3100 absorbs 100 mA while my Western Digital drive only 2mA.

This means: Matrox 3100 = power hungry

And when I insisted for Maxtor putting a disclaimer on external powered USB controller pre-required the politically correct answer was:

"Using a powered USB adapter is a common suggestion to ensure USB device working properly on some PCs, it is not always the precondition, it would depends on the PC and external USB device. "

G'day Guys

Firstly, sorry for bumping up such an old topic, but seeing as it was on the first page of google search for "Maxtor 3100 not recognised" i figured it gets visited a fair bit by people with this same problem

My sister has a 3100 and it started playing up the other day and refused to work 3 minutes after turning on her computer (i'm not sure that this is associated or not but i wouldn't bet against it). That is it was accessible for 3 minutes after restarting that is, then it went to the old "delayed write failed" routine....

Basically in an attempt to save her stuff she brought it to me and i plugged it into my Laptop (a Dell D610) and I was having the same problem as you have all been having. To get it to work however, I tried all the stuff that has been suggested so far, and finally just tried switching the usb cords around with my usb hard drive. It worked fine, intsalled properly and I am backing up all of my sisters info as I type,

So, my suggestion:

1. Don't buy one of these Pieces of crap

2. if it is too late to carry out #1 Plug Hard drive into wall, and get a different usb cable.

3. It may be an idea to plug the usb into a motherboard port as well as they will probably be better supplied with power than a PCI card if you are using one of them...

well... it worked for me

*shrug*

EDIT: The usb cable from my sisters hard drive works fine with mine so it is not as if the cable was damaged

Edited by Lapse