TooNice

Good software for mirroring?

Hello. I just bought a LaCie external HD I would like to use as my backup drive. I primarily would like to use it to store my music collection, which consist of a lot of lossless I've ripped, I wouldn't want to go through the process again.

I have the option to backup into one file using the MS Backup. I was wondering if there is any advantage of archiving all into one file though. It seems like it would take more effort to restore.

And that leads to the main question. Is there a application is good for mirroring certain folders onto an external drive? e.g. In short, an application that will scan for changes made from the source, and make updates to it. By "good" application, it would be nice if it has a good amount of options. I don't want it to blindly copy every change made into the source, in case I've made a mistake while editing my tags, or if some files from the source got corrupted etc. It would be useful if it can flag the changes first so that I can pick to restore from the external drive, or update the external drive.

Thanks.

good amount of options. I don't want it to blindly copy every change made into the source, in case I've made a mistake while editing my tags, or if some files from the source got corrupted etc. It would be useful if it can flag the changes first so that I can pick to restore from the external drive, or update the external drive.

Take a look at rsync, perhaps? it's more for copying files between two computers, but it can also work on the same computer.

There's several ports to windows available.

Is there a application is good for mirroring certain folders onto an external drive?

There are bucketloads of such applications. Try Google? B)

SyncBack SE has been around for a some years, and I have used it on several occasions with success. They have a feature-limited freeware version, and a shareware version.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/

HTH, Jesper Mortensen

I wouldn't trust my files to just one LaCie, I read about more problems with their drive enclosures than any other. Also, they sometimes "disappear" and you have to unplug everything (computer included) from the mains for 15 minutes to discharge fully, then try again. or weak power adapter blocks. Rotating backup sets, where one set is safely off-line and not mounted or in use in case one goes. And protect your data and equipment with a good UPS if you haven't already, so the PSU doesn't have to do as much work.

I think you can build your own FW case and drive and have a better product. If you can use FW800, so much the better.

There are bucketloads of such applications. Try Google? B)

And that is the very reason I am posting here. There are many of them, but I was wondering if any are kinda tried and proven.

And I find the LaCie comment above a bit alarming. I bought it because I knew someone who bought like 6 of them, and had no problem with it. When I made a post regarding my intention to buy one in another forum, I ran into no objections. Guess I should've taken a second opinion here.

I have no idea what the FW800 is (will Google it), but I was hoping that the LaCie's USB drive I just bought would provide me with some inexpensive (it was pretty inexpensive) backup that I will hopefully not be using often. I don't intend to update the drive too often, maybe once a week or so. Mind ya, whatever is in the LaCie will be a 2nd copy. I have a WD3200JB as my main internal data storage. But I am a bit weary of it right now: every now and then, on restart, chkdsk will pop up and do some re-indexing (removing some indexes or something like that) on the WD3200JB. The problem is, I have so many files in it that I am not sure what changes are being made, and I can't find a log file. And right now I am kinda concerned that it is my least reliable drive (very strange though, I mainly uses it for light reading). I haven't noticed any files dissapearing, but then again, how do you track, even a dozen missing files in a drive with tens of thousand?

Edited by TooNice

I haven't noticed any files dissapearing, but then again, how do you track, even a dozen missing files in a drive with tens of thousand?

Try Hunter - it will allow you to create a csv file that holds the file details like filename, filesize, CRC32 value and path.

Based upon that info created from the original, correct files you can always (re-) check all files.

Hunter is a graphical tool that has good support for long file names.

If you find some files have been corrupted or deleted, you still haven't got those back though.

For that purpose you could use QuickPar to create recovery volumes for your data. This will cost you approx. 10% of diskspace per MB stored but it adds tons of extra data security, integrity and convenient repair/restore.

Mind ya, whatever is in the LaCie will be a 2nd copy. I have a WD3200JB as my main internal data storage. But I am a bit weary of it right now: every now and then, on restart, chkdsk will pop up and do some re-indexing (removing some indexes or something like that) on the WD3200JB.

That is bad news.. re-indexing is usually a way to repair, or recover from problems.

And tens of thousands of files... nothing in the event viewer ?

In case of disk problems, all errors are logged there.

Make sure your 'master' harddisk is good - or you will be backupping corrupted files to the backup drive, possibly overwriting good versions of the corrupted file.

If you are sure the 'master' or 'source' disk is okay, maybe Robocopy can do what you want.

It's a commandline tool that can mirror a source to a destination.

It simply compares the 2 directories and makes an exact backup copy of the original.

It can be used from a batchfile for convenient use, and you can automate things by scheduling the mirroring process.

It certainly is the fastest tool i have ever used for a mirroring job.

I don't want it to blindly copy every change made into the source, in case I've made a mistake while editing my tags, or if some files from the source got corrupted etc.

sorry i overlooked that. Robocopy *will* do what you order it to do - blindly.

It can be a lifesaver - but it will delete files as easily, if you make a typo or other mistake.

Not a tool for people that are not comfortable working within a command prompt.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Ntfs

Event Category: Disk

Event ID: 55

Date: 17/12/2005

Time: 05:24:56

User: N/A

Computer: AURORA

Description:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume K:.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.

0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À

0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À

0018: 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I am not liking this at all... It is my latest internal drive, and my main data drive >_<

Edited by TooNice

I am not liking this at all... It is my latest internal drive, and my main data drive

nope, i would not like that *at all*.

Time to download the Data Lifeguard tool from WD and check that drive.

Ntfs corruption does not necessarily mean a bad drive, but ntfs is one of the most stable file systems around - and corruption is rare.

Usually it is bad hardware causing this...

The first warning I got is that 'Data Lifeguard has detected that support for drivers over 137GB is not fully enabled'.

Thats strange, since XP (SP2) was able to see the drives and format them. Is it harmless to enable it? Or harmful -not- to enable it?

The first warning I got is that 'Data Lifeguard has detected that support for drivers over 137GB is not fully enabled'.

Thats strange, since XP (SP2) was able to see the drives and format them. Is it harmless to enable it? Or harmful -not- to enable it?

It may be worth checking if the correct EnableBigLba registry key still exists on your XP SP2.

They also have a tool for that : EnableBigLba Tool

Also a Tools Page is available - 48bit drivers for VIA, Intel, Promise and the DiskPatch tool (handy, powerful but dangerous), documentation and much more.

You made a typo i guess - support for driveRs should probably be support for drives ?

Is that all info the tool gives - no mention of BIOS, LBA or something like that ?

You may want to look into the BIOS version of your motherboard - does that support LBA ?

If so, i would put this question to WD.

It is certainly something to take seriously, until you get a satisfactory explanation for this.

A mismatch on this level would be a good explanation for the inconsistencies/corruption on ntfs, and would not at all mean the disk is defective...

Edited by reefer

man, do i feel silly.... i missed your other thread where you already found most of my info .....

One thing i encountered on a W2K Pro SP4 (!! which sets that key) machine with 300GB harddisk and fully LBA capable bios - *without* the EnableBigLba key was that the big disk would not be recognised as bigger than 128 GB. Which is correct behaviour when that key is missing.

What stumped me was the fact that key was missing....

Edited by reefer

(The typo was well spotted, it should've been drives and not drivers)

I have a further concern now. The WD Data Lifeguard ("main app") could detect the 320GB drive just fine, and reads the information from it without any problems.

However, the WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool won't detect the WD3200JB drive. Instead, it sees two identical Raptor (my primary drive), as depicted from this picture:

http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w...gnostics0nx.png

And when I run the SMART test, "both" Raptors fails the quick test. I have no tried to do an extended test yet, since I think there is a config error here.

Instead, it sees two identical Raptor (my primary drive), as depicted from this picture:

http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w...gnostics0nx.png

And when I run the SMART test, "both" Raptors fails the quick test. I have no tried to do an extended test yet, since I think there is a config error here.

Now *that* is strange... it looks like ATA behaviour with 2 conflicting drives... which is a concern.

SATA should not have this problem.

It is definitely reason to look into this !

Edited by reefer

Strange considering that everything has worked mostly smoothly till now (minus those weird errors).

Still, considering that I only have 10GB free out of a 320GB drive, I definitely want to figure it out.

*Starts burning all the things that are easy to burn to DVD.

Edited by TooNice

Guh. Okay, having had a closer look, I *have* lost some data =(

I am sorry for you.

Did you try adding the EnableBigLba key, even if only to see if Data Lifeguard stops complaining ?

On the W2K Pro SP4 system it solved my problems.

It cannot hurt - and the EnableBigLba Tool will let you do so with 1 mouseclick..

Does the LaCie drive function properly ?

personally, i would set the EnableBigLba key and try to hook up this drive to make a quick backup.

Next step will be to solve this strange behaviour of acting as a Raptor...

You probably already have corruption, or at least data loss.

I had a similar problem years ago : hooking up a 160GB drive up to an old 200 Mhz pc which did not even see the disk in the bios was not a smart idea.

NT40 recognised the drive though and i worked with it for over 2 years without any problem.

Only when i put the drive in a modern machine ( for backup purposes, of all reasons ! ) my problems started : the new machine recognised the drive as it should be and within seconds thousands of incorrect index entries were 'repaired', costing me loads of the data i wished to backup >_<

I would not try to take out the disk and putting it in another system if i were you.

Maybe you were not thinking of doing so, just a friendly warning... i can still recall my horror seeing thousands of indexes 'repaired' in the few seconds i needed to jump the 2 meters to the machine and hitting the power switch...

Yes I have. Actually, Data Lifeguard offered to do it for me. I checked the registry afterward, and it basically did what the guide suggested.

Drive #2 (from the previous pic) will sometime fail the SMART Status check. Whether it fails or not seems.. pretty random. I think a reboot usually fixes the problem. But the fact that it is displaying two of the same drive, rather than one Raptor and one Caviar mean that I can't really do any diagnostic. But its not like the drive is dead. I have lost some data (and I had to notice this only a few days after I sold an old 120GB WD drive with some pretty old but reliable backup), and I also noticed a couple of files failing CRC tests (using sfv I had for them). But it seems to me that so far, most of the data is intact, and not all files copied to it get instantly corrupted.

Edit: At the moment, I am suspecting problems coming from the Caviar rather than the Raptor. Chkdsk never checked the Raptor, but has already "re-indexed" my Caviar on several occasions (knocking out 2-3 files at a time it seems).

Edited by TooNice

I am also wondering if there is a chance that the onboard SATA controller is playing up. Trying on another system would have been tempting actually... But it was never an option since I don't have another desktop lying around.

(And I am one of the few people amongst the people I know near me who uses a desktop and not a laptop).

Anyway, at this stage, a pretty big chunk of what I want to back up has already been backed up. There is more to do yet, although I am wondering how I should proceed with the troubleshooting.

Edited by TooNice

Yes I have. Actually, Data Lifeguard offered to do it for me. I checked the registry afterward, and it basically did what the guide suggested.

cool, and did that stop Data Lifeguard from complaining about support for big drives ?

the fact that it is displaying two of the same drive, rather than one Raptor and one Caviar mean that I can't really do any diagnostic.

Why is that ? Data Lifeguard comes as DOS version too - so... you can try removing the Raptor and see if the DOS version recognises the WD3200JB properly. If not, maybe hooking it up to the port the Raptor occupied will help.

At the moment, I am suspecting problems coming from the Caviar rather than the Raptor. Chkdsk never checked the Raptor, but has already "re-indexed" my Caviar on several occasions (knocking out 2-3 files at a time it seems).

Yes... but the Raptor cannot write data beyond the 128GB barrier and that is at least one of the causes of the problems, most likely.

But i agree, looking at the WD3200JB is the main priority now.

I've been using FileBack PC for a while now and can recommend it. Interface is a little unwieldly, but this is in part due to the overwhelming number of options available.

A couple of features you might find interesting are it's ability to monitor folders at all times and automatically update the backup/sync immediately, and keeping a defined number of revisions or revision archiving.

Thanks. I'll check that application after I sort my current problem :)

@Refeer:

- Yes, it has now stopped complaining about the big hard drive.

- I did kinda think of that. I'll need to get a decent bootable CD for that (I am floppyless), since the Raptor is my main drive.

- That is a good point.

In the mean time, I'll make a huge sfv file for my music, if only to find if any files mysteriously disappear again. And continue to backup things on DVD. My LaCie drive can't hold everything, being some 70GB smaller. And probably sleep at some point (pulled an all-nighter after noticing the missing files).

Edited by TooNice