freshman

Does my notebook have a PCI Card Slot?

16 posts in this topic

Can anyone please help?

I just bought this notebook at bestbuy with the understanding that it has a PCI card slot available

on the motherboard, so i could install a pci card - to - card buss adapter to run my wireless card buss

internally and not sticking out the side of notebook, that requires removal everytime i put

notebook away in notebook bag. [notebook wont fit in bag with pcmcia card sticking out side of notebook].

i tried several times asking tech's and salesman at bestbuy but they are absolute jerks who

don't know answer and wont try to find out. i just spent $1,600.00 there 2 weeks ago on this notebook and bestbuy now acts like used car salesmen!

can anyone please help?

can someone please tell me how to dissassemble notebook so i can look at

motherboard to see if it has a pci card slot available?

i would be very greatful for your help - thank you!!!

Edited by freshman

hi,

why would you want to use a pci wireless card ?

You bought a Centrino notebook - which means, amongst other things, you have an internal Intel 802.11 b/g wireless card.

Did you overlook this or did i misunderstand you ?

hi,

why would you want to use a pci wireless card ?

You bought a Centrino notebook - which means, amongst other things, you have an internal Intel 802.11 b/g wireless card.

Did you overlook this or did i misunderstand you ?

thanks for reply. the internal wireless has terrible shor range, so i got the external wireless card bus - pcmcia slot - that works great for long range lan wan. problem is have to remove & reinstall it everytime notebook goes in & out of notebook bag.

a pci card to pcmcia card buss adapter would allow card to be mounted on inside of notebook and not sticking out pcmcia card bus slot. is this possible?

you cannot install a pci card in the laptop.

There are PCMCIA card that fall into the laptop PCMCIA slot so they don't stick out and you can leave them in when you put the laptop in the bag.

They use an antenna that comes out when you press the side of the card.

Xircom makes them, i think.

Sure, here's a great site that tells a lot of information about how to disassemble laptops, in particular Toshiba ones....

http://www.irisvista.com/

Randy

can someone please tell me how to dissassemble notebook so i can look at

motherboard to see if it has a pci card slot available?

i would be very greatful for your help - thank you!!!

Unless you have a really big and bulky laptop, I can't imagine how there'd even be room to fit a regular PCI card in there...let alone a PCI card that houses another Cardbus card. You do have a miniPCI slot in your laptop though, currently occupied by your Centrino wireless. More often than not on Toshibas, it's accessible from a compartment underneath the laptop (although sometimes it's under the keyboard, which would take a little more work to get to). You would then purchase a high power miniPCI wireless card and replace the Intel Centrino card with it.

Unless you have a really big and bulky laptop, I can't imagine how there'd even be room to fit a regular PCI card in there...let alone a PCI card that houses another Cardbus card. You do have a miniPCI slot in your laptop though, currently occupied by your Centrino wireless. More often than not on Toshibas, it's accessible from a compartment underneath the laptop (although sometimes it's under the keyboard, which would take a little more work to get to). You would then purchase a high power miniPCI wireless card and replace the Intel Centrino card with it.

Thank you kreativ & others for replys.

Please forgive my lack of specificity. my understanding is/was that a *mini-pci adapter card* is available so that i could remove the intel atheros mini-pci integrated wireless and install a mini-pci card adapter that supports has a female card connector for a pcmcia wireless card.

am i correct? wrong?

the pcmcia wireless card has 20x better wireless range than the *integrated intel atheros mini-pci wireless card. It would be most convenient to integrate the better pcmcia wireless card inside the notebook so removal of pcmcia card would not be a requirement everytime notebook put back into notebook bag.

what do you think? *thank you very much for helping!

Thank you kreativ & others for replys.

Please forgive my lack of specificity. my understanding is/was that a *mini-pci adapter card* is available so that i could remove the intel atheros mini-pci integrated wireless and install a mini-pci card adapter that supports has a female card connector for a pcmcia wireless card.

am i correct? wrong?

the pcmcia wireless card has 20x better wireless range than the *integrated intel atheros mini-pci wireless card. It would be most convenient to integrate the better pcmcia wireless card inside the notebook so removal of pcmcia card would not be a requirement everytime notebook put back into notebook bag.

what do you think? *thank you very much for helping!

Where inside your notebook did you expect to fit both a mini-pci card AND a wireless PC card?

I also find it amusing that you think the salesmen at BestBuy would know something obscure like that about a laptop and would have any easier time finding out than you would with a google search.

In my laptop, an internal mini-pci card is able to connect to two internal antennas, which gives FAR better range than the cardbus(pcmcia) card hanging off the side.

Edited by compwizrd

compwizrd -

thank you thats informative the notebook you have is much better design than mine. what kind is it?

It's a 4 or so year old Thinkpad T23. My specific model doesn't have the antennas in it, but I can either add them, or some models came with them.

Most modern laptops will have these antennas built in as well.

Out of curiosity, what is your setup(distance, type of routers) that you're having so much trouble with?

^Title on first post: " Does my notebook have a PCI Card Slot?, Toshiba Satellite M45-S269 Notebook"

[homer]DOH![/homer]

:blink: Don't know how i missed that....

most laptops do have a PCI slot. it's called miniPCI it's a smaller form factor than regular PCI, but nonetheless it's still the same bus and you get a fast connection to the PCI bus directly. If your laptop has internal antennae built into the screen then you can take advantage of the feature by installing a miniPCI card which should give you slightly better range and stay hidden and out of the way. It should also free up a PC Card slot to use with something else.

Your computer's antenna should already be hooked up correctly. however if you want to you can buy an external antenna. I'm not camiliar with your laptop but you'll likely need to install an antenna port (I believe U.Fl is the standard) on the outside of your laptop -- not a complicated job with a small drill bit and depending on your wireless card, perhaps a little bit of solder.