pgppuppy

Windows Admin password lost. what to do?

Hiya,

My friend los this windows XP admin password. The files in his admin folders(my documents+deskto most prominently) are locked and cannot be accessed from e guest account. Is there anything we can do to savior the situation? His os is Win XP SP2. Thanks!

Hiya,

My friend los this windows XP admin password. The files in his admin folders(my documents+deskto most prominently) are locked and cannot be accessed from e guest account. Is there anything we can do to savior the situation? His os is Win XP SP2. Thanks!

You could try installing the hard disk in another 2000/XP machine and accessing the data from there. You could also run some kind of live Linux CD and then transfer the files by FTP. As for how to get the password back, I don't know how to that, a reinstallation maybe easier.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

i used this linux boot disk successfully some 3 weeks ago. Not all of my workstations took on the first pass and you may have to play with the different password reset options. Anyways avoid this if you use disk encryption as much could be lost.

-Chicago

We use that tool at work, though we have not had to try it on an XP machine. Its most reliable if you use '*' as the password as it will put a blank one in, then you log in, and change it.

Nox

You can also install a new copy of windows over the old one and then take ownership of the files on the disk with the new admin account.

Hiya,

if you have access to Winternals / ERD commander, they have a locksmith utility that resets passwords

i used this linux boot disk successfully some 3 weeks ago. Not all of my workstations took on the first pass and you may have to play with the different password reset options. Anyways avoid this if you use disk encryption as much could be lost.

-Chicago

Handy boot disk indeed and you're right about disk encryption. If there's really important data on that machine, you may want to copy it in another machine but haven't had problems the few times I used this thingie.

-Chicago

Used this tool a trillion times and it works everytime. Just reset the password to * as reccomended by the tool.