Sign in to follow this  
pablome

External Hard drive Help

<_< Im trying to pick out a hard drive to put in an external drive enclosure thats aluminum case USB 2.0 and thats it.

Does ANYBODY KNOW what a good drive would be and affordable one too?

I was sorta thinking ...maybe...Maxtor Ultra16 250GB ATA/133 16MB Cache Hard Drive(US $115.90) ..OR..Maxtor Ultra16 Series 300GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA/133 16MB Cache Hard Drive(US $128.99) ..OR..Seagate 300 GB Hard Drive Ultra ATA/133 - 7200 RPM - 16MB Cache - MODEL ST3300631A-RK (US $148.01). What do you think would be better drive or if anyother ones? B)

Guest 888

Select from the HDD models which are the most cold-running (less power-consuming). Most external enclosures have poor ventilation so it's not good idea to use pretty hot drives there.

I'd suggest Seagate 7200.9 160GB as it is a one platter drive with very low power consumption (5.5W).

If 160GB isn't enough, Hitachi T7K250 250GB. It is a two platter drive but it's almost as energy efficient as the Seagate. It has the second lowest power consumption (6.1W) measured by SR.

Hitachi 3.5" HDDs also feature load/unload technology which is commonly used only on 2.5" and smaller form factor mobile drives. Load/unload technology should protect the drive from shocks better than conventional Contact Start-Stop (CSS) drives. Hitachi's load/unload implementation also allows the user to configure time-out values for entering power saving modes that are not available with CSS based drives. While on power saving mode, the platters spin, but the read/write heads are unloaded.

Since you mentioned some 250GB and 300GB drives on your post, I'd guess 7200.9 160GB is out of option. T7K250 would probably be quite ideal for your purpose.

EDIT:

you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark..._1=303&devCnt=2

Edited by whiic

Guest 888

Of course all new low power models are fast ones.

But this can't be very essential for you as the external enclosure in fact limits the speed.

And usually there's no performance differences between ATA and SATA models of the same series (if to compare the same capacities, too)

I got an AMS Venus DS3 DS-2316SU2SBK USB2.0 and SATA External Enclosure (from Newegg of course), and plopped in a 400 gig Caviar RE2 WD4000YR, and it's an awesome setup. My motherboard came with an external SATA connector, but I tried USB 2.0 first, and even that was good. However, the SATA connection is about the same performance as an internal SATA connection, and it flys. The enclosure uses an Oxford OXU921S chipset which is rated well.

It all came up as identified by Windows XP, so I formatted the drive as per normal. No fuss, no muss. I am able to backup an entire machine (a Raptor and another YR, around 50 gigs actual usage) in about 10-15 minutes using Ghost. Then I have XP safely stop using the drive, I unplug it, and do the same on my wifes computer. It's so simple, I wish I'd done this BEFORE my previous hard drive died. But oh well, live and learn.

I also use this drive now as an emergency boot device. My motherboards seem perfectly happy booting from it. I keep a bunch of diagnostic tools on it as well. Worth every penny.