Sprudeldudel

New 400GB HDD, help please

Hi

I am in need of more HDD-Space and have read through some reviews here and at Tomshardwareguide. It boils down to the fact that I need a 400GB-Harddrive.

The

Maxtor DiamondMax 11 400GB SATA II (6H400F0)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB (WD4000KD)

are the candidates that I am looking at. Mostly I am interested in reliability and speed, of course.

For the Maxtor-drive I was not able to find reviews at all, but the DiamondMAx10 performed well, so I thought I might give the 11 a chance. Anybody have info on that one?

For both drives I am particulary interested in the drop of Transfer-Rate on the inside of the platter, since the 400 Gig will probably be quite full soon.

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB SATA II (ST3400633AS) seems a bit slow in the review here. How does it compare to the two above?

The Samsung spinoint drives are not interesting performancewise, the RAID Edition of the WD-drives is too risky in my eyes for a non RAID-system like mine. The Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 400GB SATA (HDS724040KLSA80/0A30229) is sorted out because it is an older generation and only offers 8MB cache.

Please help :-)

Edited by Sprudeldudel

I'd buy whatever's cheapest. Unless you are hammering the drives all day for every last IO/sec of performance, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference for most things.

And if it's just stuff like streaming video and mp3s, then ANY drive should be fine... you don't need 16MB cache for that.

Well, around the same time people had noticed a certain reliablity trend, there were a couple guys who posted here saying how they were in the biz and had higher volume of drives pass through their shop than us mortals see, admonishing to "trust me" Maxtor is wonderbar. Then there's storagereview's reliability database and postings on message boards throughout the net that strongly suggest that Maxtor is poor in the reliability department. Take your pick. For your other choice, the WD SE16, it's reviewed here and discussed in several threads if you havn't already checked them out. It's the same drive as WD's RE2 with a feature turned off, lower burn in time, and lower warranty. A high performer. Hitachi's 7k500 peforms even better but I had my fill with deathstars so I woudn't touch one with a ten foot pole. As for Seagate, though a relatively low performer, based on the STR's survey, net commentary, and my own experience, it's always a contender. So much so, the question for me when getting a drive being; go for a reliable Seagate or take a chance for more performance?

We see six-digit's worth of drives annually, and Maxtor drives seem to be right in-line with failure rates from the competition. They don't particularly stand out; although to be fair in our highest-stress applications they seem to hold up just as well as Hitachi. I haven't seen enough high-stress units yet with large volumes of Seagate or current WD drives at this time.