Sign in to follow this  
Michael555

HyperOS Hyper Drive 3 Review At Toms Hardware

$700 is a lot; more than two i-Rams for RAID0--but then it will go up to 16GB. The press photo appears to have a LOT more tantalum caps and two more DIMM slots than the review sample did, and if they couldn't even get that "final" revision to Tom, then it probably won't be shipping anytime soon.

gc-ramdisk availability still hasn't changed. Only three places and still not lower than $185, $135 more than they said it would cost. For that much money, it should at least have an SATA-2 interface if not as well more dimm slots. Better than hyperos but easily so since their price is a joke.

Sigh... Photoshop load time. Sure, I spend the full day loading it.

Did it occur to them to time complex actions when the scratch disk is in the ramdisk, or in the case of the iRAM, if one of the iram has the scratch file, while the other has windows pagefile?

Why ship a piece of hardware to clueless reviewers?

Sigh... Photoshop load time. Sure, I spend the full day loading it.

Did it occur to them to time complex actions when the scratch disk is in the ramdisk, or in the case of the iRAM, if one of the iram has the scratch file, while the other has windows pagefile?

Why ship a piece of hardware to clueless reviewers?

For that usage:

Why should one be so dumb and put those expensive ECC rams into a slow ata100 connected solid-state disk if you could just USE them as ram?

And dont come with a "4gb limit blabla" excuse, for the price of the unit you can get a dual socket opteron board with more than enough ram sockets, and even if your photoshop is limited to a segment size of 3GB you will be able make ramdiscs that have 50 times higher transfer rates and 10 times faster seeks than this external unit.

So its just a pointless gimmick and anot a clueless reiviewer

For instance, to see exactly the differences between a ram ramdisk, and an external one, or just the difference with 4Gb in ram vs 2Gb ram / 2Gb iRam vs Ramdisk, etc.

An iRam costs less than an Opteron board and a second Opteron, too... and you can fill it with non ECC ram (while the memory of a dual Opteron has to be the ECC one) An iRAM could be used in a x86 setup vs the X86-64 required for 4Gb+ of RAM.

Remember also that Photoshop uses the scratch file as its primary memory, and the RAM is just its cache...

One could also question the utility to save images to an iRAM / Hyperdrive.

So I take that you found that test totally relevant? I wish they benchmarked load time of notepad too ;)