Who is your favorite mobo brand?

1.MSI

2.Abit

3.Asus

4.Epox

5.Shuttle

6.Gigabyte

7.DFI

8.Other (Please say which brand in place of other)

Ok when you say your favorite mobo brand in the reply please type the number, the period (.) and the brand name.

Thanks

HisMajestyTheKing whats wrong with abit? I have no problems agaisnt MSI or really any Mobo brand right now. I may even decide to try every mobo brand or a lot of them to make a personal opinion of which one i like the best. I am sure they are all good. But i like my abit mobo so far. What i like about is its totally jumperless. I know MSI, Epox, Asus is too but not totally i did not think. I thought a few things had to be changed as a jumper but i could be wrong sense new mobos are out now by those brands. Plus i have no read about the latest ones much so if i am wrong i will not be surprised. I am sure i am wrong. What i am trying to do is just to see what brand everyone likes here the most. Just curious.

Asus boards can be configured both with dipswitches or fully in the BIOS (good thing those dipswitches for systems integrators). MSI is totally jumperless across the board as well (pun intended). Most brands are I think.

I personally HATE Abit as their quality control must suck (bad KT7A, long story) and their support is non-existent. Asus is better (faster, more stable, better overclocking) and MSI is just a half-step below Asus but much more reasonably priced. Shuttle is great if you want no-nonsense boards that just work. Not an exciting brand but a good one. DFI is like Shuttle; boring but suited for the job. I also had a good experience with a Soyo i440 BX board. An old chaintech i440BX board is running the NT4-server where I work and it's in the same league as Shuttle. Haven't used other brands.

Personally I use MSI because it beats Asus by a mile cost/performance-wise.

HisMajestyTheKing ok well i use a Abit KT7A raid and i know thats the same model you talking about with problems expect mine has raid. So far it has been really good and no stabilty issues at all. It is a very fast mobo too. In benchmarks Abit and Asus are about the same. So i do not see Abit mobos being that slow. Also Asus does not have very good tech support either and asus mobos are expersive even alittle more expersive than abit.

3.Asus

though Abit makes some nice boards from time to time ... the overall Speed/Reliabity/OC-friendliness crown goes to ASUS IMHO (but I noticed that Epox is growing more and more popular).

I also had a KT7A board ... well obviously it was shitty, but at least it was so desperately unusable that I immediately saw that something was wrong and could switch off 2nd channel DMA, which cured the problems (that was in January 2001, long before people finally realized that there was something wrong with the 686B southbridge ... had to solve the problems myself). With some other boards, the problem would only be apparent through a gradual process of data corruption, which is even more frightening. But overall, Abit makes good boards. I'm just not too hot about their new 3-PCI-slots-only approach.

AND NO, I don't want to engage in a discussion on who's to blame for the KT7A/KT133A debacle (Abit, VIA or Creative). All 3 are to blame IMHO.

AND YES, I do know that some boards built around the KT133A had no stability problems at all.

1 - MSI

2 - Iwill

3 - DFI (cheap but NEVER had a problem with them)

4 - Gigabyte

5 - Epox

6 - Aopen

7 - ASUS

no one here ever seems to like/use/mention Iwill at all. perdoanlly i think they're great, good features, excellent build quality and hence stability and lots of little extra's.

1. Asus - never any problems

2. Soyo - Lovin my Dragon+

3. Supermicro - obvious server reasons

4. Msi - dig the colored boards

5. Gigabyte - treated me well till I got my first Athlon

6. Shuttle - Nice inexpensive boards

Bad.

1. Abit - KA7 was the worst board I've ever owned

2. Epox - Good job on making them GF4 4600 incompatible Epox.

2. Epox - Good job on making them GF4 4600 incompatible Epox.

Yes, how dare Epox not be able to see 18 months into the future so that they would know what a GF4 looks like when they designed the 8KHA line.

Anyway, I vote Abit. They're the only ones still catering to the enthusiast. Asus and MSI bent over for the OEM contracts and now load their boards with a ton of extra crap no serious user wants. Gigabyte is nice for no frills stability.

3. Asus.

Never have any major problems with them, and they are always rock solid, if missing some overclocking features. I have a lot of trouble with my Abit KT7-RAID right now -- every BIOS release seems to fix something and break something. It's annoying to say the least.

Right now, Epox.

#2 is probably Tyan

#3 is Gigabyte

Abit and Shuttle are brands I will never buy again.

I have really high hopes for the Soltek board I just ordered, though.

Supermicro

Super high quality always reliable and very stable.

Haven't had a single problem with any Supermicro board since my fisrt machine- a PPro 200.

I like Abit boards as they are usually very good and have many great features (the best bios, plenty of fan headers, good component placement and they always do away with or add the features their customers will want- no built in sound, six pci slots ...)

I've seen issues with all boards but supermicro on the net and had many of them myself. There's alot of boards with cool features out there but I wish they would all get back to making stable and fast (fast all the way around- to be read VIA pci problems and memory controllers that lack the performance of Intel chipsets) boards like the true masterpiece that was the BX/GX chipset. MOBO's are like candy anymore, it seems as though MOBO's are gooing the way of computer games- ship it now even if it has bugs and we'll fix it later. Well, most times he fix comes by buying there next MOBO :(

I also had a KT7A board ... well obviously it was shitty, but at least it was so desperately unusable that I immediately saw that something was wrong and could switch off 2nd channel DMA, which cured the problems (that was in January 2001, long before people finally realized that there was something wrong with the 686B southbridge ... had to solve the problems myself). With some other boards, the problem would only be apparent through a gradual process of data corruption, which is even more frightening. But overall, Abit makes good boards. I'm just not too hot about their new 3-PCI-slots-only approach.

I have Abit's KT266A motherboard and it works perfectly, has an insane number of BIOS features, is the only one that I know of (certainly the first KT266A) to have four DIMM slots, and it has a full six PCI slots.

Fact is, every company, including Asus, has duds, and frequently companies surprise everyone with a board which is better than the competition, despite any bad karma they may have.

The only brands that I have found consistantly suck are:

PCChips and their many aliases (probably name changes to escape their reputation every time they sour it) including Ability, Alton, Amptron, Aristo, Asia Gate, Asiatech, Assa, Atrend, Elpina, Eurone, Fugu, Fugutech, Hi Sing, Houston, ECS, Hsing Tech, H Tech, Matsonic, Minstaple, PCWare, Pine, Protac, QDI, Warpspeed

(whew!)

Azza, and most generic motherboards I've seen. There are other consistantly bad one's i've heard about, but i've never been subjected to them so I will reserve judgement.

In general, all brands listed above usually make great motherboards. Abit boards did suck at one time, and they have made some duds, but for the most part Abit now makes great boards with (often) the most features at a reasonable price. Any board that can survive a complete build of FreeBSD 4.5 (using tons of compiler optimizations that increase CPU and memory usage dramatically) while overclocked by 20% on a 300W power supply running 4 HDDs, 3 CDROMs, a zip drive, seven 80mm fans, and a power hungry Geforce 3 is a stable board. The system also runs Seti@Home 24/7 (up to 1,936 units!). I'd say that's a vote in Abit's favor, though I can understand why a bad experience with one of their boards would cause you to avoid them--after all, there are tons of good manufacturers out there. I, for example, will be avoiding Tyan after the TigerMP. My TigerMP is rock-solid, but it is sooooo picky about the hardware that is put in it that it has become too much of a PITA for me to bother with. Asus's dual Athlon board is worlds better...

and it has a full six PCI slots.

Hi Sivar ... I like ABit and I had Abit boards myself, so I know that most have 6 PCI slots. I was talking about the new legacy free Max series from Abit. 1 AGP, 3 PCI, no PS2 but lots of USB and other candy. They showed it on Cebit.

and it has a full six PCI slots.

Hi Sivar ... I like ABit and I had Abit boards myself, so I know that most have 6 PCI slots. I was talking about the new legacy free Max series from Abit. 1 AGP, 3 PCI, no PS2 but lots of USB and other candy. They showed it on Cebit.

Horrible !!

Tyan.

I'd put Asus a distant second. I've never used Supermicro (they seem hard to get down in Aus?), but they have an excellent name. Intel seem very good too, as long as you don't want IDE RAID, overclocking, or any other such rubbish :D.

All manufacturers have made the odd dud line of boards, so it's probably not wise to blacklist manufacturers based on one bad experience. That said, I'm not likely to buy VIA again :).