Sign in to follow this  
badtz

Two Hard Drives + PS Scratch

Let's say I have two HDs:

drive #1 = 80gb Raptor

drive #2 = 500gb Hitachi 7K500

Adobe Photoshop is on the 2nd drive.

Which drive would be best to use as a scratch disk for Photoshop and Audio applications?

Is it better to leave the OS drive [drive #1] doing just the OS-related tasks (virtual memory, etc) and have the 2nd drive run the application + scratch, or putting the scratch on the same OS drive?

suggestions? :)

Given two drives, it's a good idea to keep the windows pagefile and the PS scratch on separate physical drives. I'd put the pagefile on the Raptor and scratch on the 7K500, though if anyone can think of a good reason to swap them over, please let us know.

Given two drives, it's a good idea to keep the windows pagefile and the PS scratch on separate physical drives. I'd put the pagefile on the Raptor and scratch on the 7K500, though if anyone can think of a good reason to swap them over, please let us know.

I have a similar question... I wonder what the access looks like for the photoshop scratch. I have a 160gig samsung and was thinking about adding two raptors - one for OS/Apps and one for photoshop scratch. I guess if the scratch does just sequential stuff, then the raptor would be unnecessary.

Cheers,

Chris

given a two-drive scenario : should the applications be on the same drive as the page/OS also? [leaving the 500gb HD for scratch and big media libraries for audio/video apps] ?

Normally, I'd put apps on the OS volume. Generally, you load the OS, then you load the apps. It's rare that both OS files and app files will be heavily accessed simultaneously.

Ideally, pagefile, scratch and data would be on separate drives, but in this case having OS, apps and pagefile in the same partition on the Raptor, while PS scratch and data are on the Hitachi seems to make the most sense.

Regarding Schlotkins' question, I'd imagine the scratch accesses were mostly sequential in nature, but I don't know for sure. Have you checked out Adobe's website, there's quite a lot of info there about this sort of thing.