BassKozz

WD4000YR vs. WD4000KD

I tried posting this in the Article Feedback section of these forums but it wouldn't let me... probly cus I am a newb here :P

I am building a personal file server, and I plan on using a RAID 5 array to keep everything safe and sound;)

After reading this article from AnandTech.com: Hitachi vs. Western Digital vs. Seagate: A Battle of the Mammoths

I have decided to go w/ Western Digital.:D

After reading the article on the StorageReview home page: What’s the difference between the WD4000YR and WD4000KD?

I have one question, in the article it states:

3. Finally, the RE2, living up to its moniker, ships with the firm’s “Time Limited Error Recovery†(TLER) feature enabled while the SE16 does not. This oft-confusing feature permits a drive to gracefully surrender error recovery features after an 8-second window of attempts rather than stubbornly continuing onwards with the assumption that an array’s redundancy features will cover the error and avoid data corruption. For drives that find themselves in a setup that features redundancy (anything other than RAID 0), this is a plus. For disks that don’t, it’s not.

My question is with the line that says "ships with the firm’s “Time Limited Error Recovery†(TLER) feature enabled while the SE16 does not."

Is that to say this feature can be enabled on the WD4000KD?

Or does it mean that it's not even an option for the KD only for the YR?

Because I will be using a RAID 5 array this feature will benifit me, correct? How much of a preformance difference will this feature really provide?

Thanks in advance,

-BassKozz

Edited by BassKozz

My guess is it's not an option to toggle on yourself. It'll be something set at the firmware level when the drive is manufactured. If you plan on using the drives in RAID 5, then go with the RE2 drive, as that's what it's designed for.

My guess is it's not an option to toggle on yourself. It'll be something set at the firmware level when the drive is manufactured. If you plan on using the drives in RAID 5, then go with the RE2 drive, as that's what it's designed for.

I agree. Just ordered two RE2 for RAID1 under Nforce4, it's designed for raid so go for it B)

I agree. Just ordered two RE2 for RAID1 under Nforce4, it's designed for raid so go for it B)

Yes but for $40x4 = $160 less I can get 4 KD's instead of 4 YR's...

Does anyone know for sure if this feature is enable-able on the KD's or not ?

The only other draw back to the KD's is the 3yr warrenty vs. 5yr, but that doesn't bother me cus I'll prolly swap them out in 3 yr's for more storage anyways.

Since, as the article "What’s the difference between the WD4000YR and WD4000KD?" notes, the two drives are "physically and electronically the same piece of hardware," HOW COULD THEY HAVE SUCH DIFFERING IDLE NOISE LEVELS (45.2 dB/A vs. 40.1dB/A, respectively, @ 3mm; WD's website indicates only a 1 dB/A difference)? Since these sound measurements are on a logarithmic scale, 5.1 dB/A is quite a large difference. TLER in the YR version is the only significant difference between the two drives, yet it doesn't seem to me that this could be responsible. I'm considering running two of these drives as RAID1 (and thus would use the YR), yet want to avoid an unnecessarily elevated noise level from what appears to be possible with the KD. Does anyone have any ideas that might explain this difference?

HOW COULD THEY HAVE SUCH DIFFERING IDLE NOISE LEVELS (45.2 dB/A vs. 40.1dB/A, respectively, @ 3mm; WD's website indicates only a 1 dB/A difference)? Since these sound measurements are on a logarithmic scale, 5.1 dB/A is quite a large difference.

Each drive sound a bit different. I think they got a silent WD4000KD and a loud WD4000YR.