JPWRana

"BEST" Order to install

What install order is best?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What order is best to install these items AFTER you do a clean format?

• OS -> Drivers -> Security Software -> Security Software Online Updates -> OS Online updates -> Driver Online Updates -> Regular Programs
    • OS -> OS Updates -> Drivers -> Drivers Oline updates -> Security Software -> Security software online updates -> Regular Programs
    • OS -> Security Software -> Security Online Updates -> Drivers -> Drivers online updates -> OS Online Updates -> Regular programs

NOTE:

OS = windows xp, linux, unix, etc.

Drivers = your radeon 9800 pro, or your Audigy 4 platinum, or your Epox mobo, etc.

Security Software = Norton, or McAfee, or Adaware

Regular Programs = Office XP, CS Source, AutoCAD, etc.

I'm sure there are MORE combinations, but I don't want to get the permutation (or is it combination?) of this.

OS => Chipset drivers => Any other drivers(video, sound, etc) => OS Updates => Anything else (including security software). Not in the list though... :rolleyes:

One mistake people tend to make is the firewall.. When acessing Internet for operating system updates, ALWAYS enable the built-in firewall for protection because there isn't any 3rd party security programs (such as anti-virus, firewalls, anti-spyware, etc) installed yet. Also during this time, DO NOT BROWSE other websites. :P

I generally skip the security software, but BIOS update + option 2 is my usual order.

I download the latest vir defs and drivers online before I reinstall, and then unplug the network cable until after I've installed winxp, updated drivers AND the antivirus software + updates.

I've heard stories about unprotected windows machines becoming infected minutes after just being connected to the internet, I have a hardware firewall but I'm far too paranoid to trust it 100%!

None of the above. I do the OS and then drivers. I don't care if they ask to reboot, I do them all and then give it the reboot. Then do the same with all my standard software and security patches, one more reboot. Sometimes a second round of patches come up after, nothing I can do for that though. Never caused me problems, but I supose it could eventually.

I'm not sure it matters, if you just install everything before connecting to the internet.

That depends. It is often a good idea to install the latest SP before installing other drivers. On Windows XP, for example, SP2 is needed for USB 2.0 support.

I would install:

Latest version of BIOS -> OS (if you want to install any optional components, install them before installing the SP) -> SP (download the full installer, if possible) and URP1 (If using Win2k) -> Drivers (the latest ones available, not the ones on the driver CD that came with your hardware) -> OS Updates (including security) from WU -> Applications

If you slipstream the SP, URP (if applicable) and OS updates onto the install CD, you can dispense with this step, as well as avoid potential problems, especially with HDDs with a capacity >128 GB. You should install chipset drivers before other drivers, the order of the remaining drivers is generally unimportant.

As for security, make sure that nothing is accessible from outside your PC/local network before connecting for the first time. If you don't have a hardware firewall, you should run Windows Firewall config and disable everything or check "Don't allow exceptions". Before patching Windows fully, you should use IE only for Windows Updates and refrain from using OE. If you must use either, you should disable all scripting and ActiveX for all non-trusted websites. You can't disable them completely, otherwise WU won't work. Personally, I would leave ActiveX and scripting permanently disabled for non-trusted sites in IE, if you must use it. Considering the most recent (unpatched!) security hole, it is all too easy to get some form of malware installed. Though Firefox is not as bulletproof as some would like to believe, it is far better in this respect.

That's what I do, though my library of post-SP2 updates ends abruptly right where Microsoft decided to discontinue posting the updates in Windows Catalog on windowsupdate :( .

Slipstreaming winxp sp2 is what I do also, although I have heard an account that it doesn't do the job fully and that one should run the sp2 update AGAIN, even after installing slipstreamed winxp sp2. Take it with a grain of salt, but I guess it wouldn't hurt (unless you are reinstalling windows pretty frequently)

That's what I do, though my library of post-SP2 updates ends abruptly right where Microsoft decided to discontinue posting the updates in Windows Catalog on windowsupdate :( .

Very annoying, though Windows Catalog never really worked properly for me. Some updates would download, others wouldn't. I am hoping that they will update it to v6 like WU. Downloading updates by hand is not fun, nor is rebooting a dozen times to install everything with WU.

Slipstreaming winxp sp2 is what I do also, although I have heard an account that it doesn't do the job fully and that one should run the sp2 update AGAIN, even after installing slipstreamed winxp sp2. Take it with a grain of salt, but I guess it wouldn't hurt (unless you are reinstalling windows pretty frequently)

Yes, I had this occur with URP1 for 2000 SP4 too. If you go to WU, you will see the SP/URP there again, albeit much smaller than if you don't slipstream. Oddly, after installing XP from an OEM XP SP2 disc from Microsoft, no such updates are necessary. Even so, it is (IMHO) still better to slipstream, especially when the original release lies quite a few years back.

BIOS, OS, Service Pack, latest chipset, graphics & other integrated hardware drivers, Autopatcher, latest security software, then connect to the internet and run Windows Update for anything released since the last Autopatcher.

http://www.autopatcher.com - versions for XP, 2000 and 2003 exist, make sure you get the latest version, download the Full package and you can pick what to install - it includes every Microsoft OS update since SP2, DirectX, .net framework, Powertoys, and lots of other tweaks and extras. November is the current version, but December should be out soon.