thegreek

MAS3735NP and LSIU160 problems

I just bought a SCSI drive and a controller and I'm having problems trying to install it.

HD: Fujitsu MAS3735NP

Controller: LSI U160

Cable: this one

I got everything today but I can't get this thing to work and need some help.

1. I connected the LSI U160, and I placed the cable in it and the other side of the cable with the terminator on the scsi end.

2. I installed the drivers for the LSI U160 from HERE

3. I placed the pins on the HD like HERE (I have a short on 1-2, 11-12, and 23-24) there are some pins next to the molex but they are all open.

The drive doesnt show up on my computer nor do I see any special bios for the card or HD? :(

Edited by thegreek

is the wiring and jumpers right?

EDIT:

I tired installing the drive by itself. I made a floppy with the LSI windows 2000 drivers.

I put in my windows xp cd and re-started. At the beginning it said HD is not detected. so I thoght it might need the driver. So I continued installing pressed F6 and load the driver off the floppy.

It said there is a newer driver already loaded and I should use that, so I did. Once everything was loaded it said starting windows on the screen (where you are about to format) and it froze. :(

Try these?

1) a different SCSI ID like 3

2) don't short 23-24

3) different positions on the cable (last and first)

HD: Fujitsu MAS3735NP

Controller: LSI U160

I tried many different jumper configuration without any luck. Here are some pics and I hope you guys can help me which way to plug this thing in to work.

Pins on SCSI drive

ge0rgieee-pin.jpg

ID settings

ge0rgieee-id.jpg

Here is my cable

ge0rgieee-cable.jpg

(#1 on the cable is where the terminator is)

I want to install Windows XP on this drive by itself. Can you guys tell me which jumpers to place where and which number on my cable should I place on the drive?

LSI U160 site: HERE

Fujitsu HD site HERE

Edited by thegreek

>You should be fine leaving the 23-24 jumper intact

>You should also be fine using the "bult-in" driver for the card, no need to do the F6 thing

>Can you access card's BIOS to make sure the drive is seen correctly?

>Try the drive on a different cable connector because there may be some bent pins on the connector you're using (they're extremely fragile)

>Try the card in a different PCI slot

>Once the drive is seen correctly, run Fujitsu diagnostic software on it to confirm its health

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

good news, I connected jumpers 11-12 and 23-24 and put it on #4 of the cable and I see the drive:

ge0rgieee-c.jpg

ge0rgieee-disk.jpg

I tried taking out my 120GB IDE hard drive. All I had was the SCSI drive in with the setting above and when I am reformating it gets up to the partition screen but it freezes before getting there.

Obviously the drive is working as you can see above, I created files in it, transfered stuff. I don't understand why I can't install windows off this thing. Could it be my old computer with a gateway MB?

I'd just format it from windows first.

Then make it the only drive in the system and install windows.

Setup may be flakey.

You can search the MicroSoft KB at support.microsoft.com for the problem.

I'd just format it from windows first.

Then make it the only drive in the system and install windows.

Setup may be flakey.

You can search the MicroSoft KB at support.microsoft.com for the problem.

218589[/snapback]

Thats the problem, when only the SCSI drive is in and I boot with my XP disc it says, HD is not detected press enter to continue. I continue and it starts loading all the drivers like a regular re-format but once it's finished and it's about to show the screen where you delete the old partition and create a new one it freezes. I don't know why?

The drive should be connected to the connector closest to the U160. Leave all the drive ID jumpers off to get it to be #0.

Uses the drivers from LSI on the floppy. There are times when Windows is wrong ;)

Bozo :D

What motherboard do you have? Long time back I had booting problems with my MSI board because of a wonky BIOS. Turned out a fix was required from a newer BIOS which solved my problems. This might not be the issue you're having, but at least something to look into.

I'm almost certain the LSI 160 drivers are already built-in to the Windows XP install CD.

Also, check that the LSI BIOS has the drive set to boot from, and you don't have some wierd crap going on in your boot order on your mobo BIOS.

The drivers are on the XP cd. When I installed my first cheetah with that controller card, I spent 20 minutes trying to load a driver for it, only to discover that windows already had one in place. Anyways, thegreek, did you get your problem solved?