amdoverclocker2

Rebuild Raid5 Array

We had one of the drives fail in one of our file servers at work. It is on a Dual Xeon system using the BC4852 and 6 x DM10+ 300GB drives. Its rebuilding now just fine but it says its going to take 3 days???? The file server doesnt get used much at all. Does it normaly take that long? I thought it was an overnight thing.. but I guess not?

We had one of the drives fail in one of our file servers at work. It is on a Dual Xeon system using the BC4852 and 6 x DM10+ 300GB drives. Its rebuilding now just fine but it says its going to take 3 days???? The file server doesnt get used much at all. Does it normaly take that long? I thought it was an overnight thing.. but I guess not?

RAID 5 rebuild times heavily depend on the controller used. I use Linux' software raid, which does recovery with the new drive's full write speed (up to 70 MB/sec with my Maxtor MaxLine III). When the system is used for normal work, the speed drops to about 30 MB/sec, in heave load situations the raid resync only uses the minimum (1 MB/sec). So without knowing how much load the system has, I'd say your controller choses the speed for a resync (that might be far less than the raid can handle at that moment).

Bye,

Carsten

It shouldnt really take that long at all, even with a pure software raid...

But nothing can be said if you dont tell how the raid is configured. What card, what bus, ect?

Often you can select the aggressiveness of the rebuild in the bios, for example.

Rebuild on my Promise EX8350 with 5 320 GB seagate disc in Raid 5 take around 2 hours to rebuild a disc in. So 3 days it VERY slow. Remember, when you are rebuilding, raid 5 are not secrured against another driver fail. So its importen that rebuilding is as fast as possible or else people shall go for raid 6. But in your case I think 3 days is too much..

It shouldnt really take that long at all, even with a pure software raid...

But nothing can be said if you dont tell how the raid is configured. What card, what bus, ect?

Often you can select the aggressiveness of the rebuild in the bios, for example.

I also own a BC4852 and had to do a rebuild some days ago because of a failed drive.

The Raid consisted of 8x 400GB Drives (7 Seagate 7200.8, 1 Samsung 400GB as replacement) and it took about 25-26 Hours to complete the rebuild with the rebuild-priority set to it's maximum (and no additional I/O load).

I suppose it might have been somewhat faster if my Raidcore card would be in a real PCI-X Slot, but thats justs a theory :-)