troop

Replacement for Adaptec Ultra SCSI 160 Board

Hi,

I have a very handy 19160 board which runs two drives and a cd-r . I uograded the drives to ultra wide 360 ( Maxtor 10k v) and cannot find a pci card to run all three items.

Not even one just for the drives. Adaptec has pci-x and raid pci cards but nothing for this configuration. I would use a raid card if it would run the drives singly but do not know if that is possible-eg, Adaptec SCSI RAID 2120S--nothing for a 50 pin drive and 64 bit--will it run the drives ? Is 64 bit an issue ?

Seeing as your PCI bus will limit you to around 100MB/S, U160 is not the limitation in your system. Unless you want to upgrade to a PCI-X motherboard, stick with your U160 controller. Its not worth spending money on a U320 card.

Seeing as your PCI bus will limit you to around 100MB/S, U160 is not the limitation in your system. Unless you want to upgrade to a PCI-X motherboard, stick with your U160 controller. Its not worth spending money on a U320 card.

218118[/snapback]

I will upgrade in several months to a board with this expansion set

1 x PCI Express x16 slot for discrete graphics card

1 x PCI-E graphics slot (max. x4 mode)

1 x PCI Express x1

3 x PCI

The adaptec card most suitable runs on a 64 bit PCI-x slot. I see no mention of X in the mb description. Please advise.

The 19160 can run each of the drives at full sustained speed (well, 1 at a time) in the regular 32-bit PCI slots so it does not appear you need to upgrade.

A new U320 PCI-E card would only show an improvement in the burst transfer speed. As the drives can only burst out of their tiny 8MB caches, that would not provide any noticeable improvement.