Sign in to follow this  
Guest 888

The next standard capacities for HDD?

Guest 888

Is there any information available about which would be the following single HDD capacity sizes between 500 GB and 1 TB ?

Some of my own speculations:

600 GB

640 GB (4 x 160 platters)

666 GB (5 x 133 platters, 4 x 166 platters) - mystical number!

700 GB

750 GB

800 GB (5 x 160 platters)

160GB platters are expected for 2006 and 200GB by 2007. Seagate is already using 160GB platters for 80 & 160GB drives but to match competitor sizes and not run up drive size too fast(aka milk it), they came out with a 500GB drive instead of 640GB.

A little searching will yield industry sites that go over where the industry is heading.

160GB platters are expected for 2006 and 200GB by 2007.  Seagate is already using 160GB platters for 80 & 160GB drives but to match competitor sizes and not run up drive size too fast(aka milk it), they came out with a 500GB drive instead of 640GB.

218084[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? It could simply be a technical issue that prevents high density platters from being used in three or more platter drives.

I think Olaf is probably right. If Seagate could have made 4x 160 GB = 640 GB drive "if they wanted", they most likely could have made a 3x 166 GB = 500 GB drive. And it is of course possible they could have, it just wasn't a feasible solution (reliability, manufacturing costs). With 160GB variant it was probably obvious to go from 125/133 platters to 160GB and half the number of platters. A bit extra cost from high tech platter will be compensated by using them 50% less. With 4x 125 versus 3x 166, it's obvious that it's cheaper to use four cheap one instead of three expensive ones. Using one platter (25%) less but possibly almost twice the cost per platter. That wouldn't be a good deal.

Since they used 4x 125 GB on their biggest capacity variant, I'd suspect they are waiting for the technology to mature (increased yields and reduced price on the media itself + more accurate mechanics to handle the vibration of a multiplatter monster). Of course "waiting" is not a good word to describe it, as they'd have to drive the technology forward by doing research at the same time.

Yes, I believe they arrived at their 500GB drive from a business decision, not a technical one. Perusing the industry sites should help you discern where they're coming from.